+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have some "bad syrup" to get rid of

Default I have some "bad syrup" to get rid of

After going thru all of my old syrup stock I found that I have some that is not good for prime time. I found some that had been "lost" in a corner from previous years, some is just a few years old while some is from 8-10 years ago and upon opening it to check, some has fermented other has molded, the rest looks and smells good.
    Can anything be done with fermented product to even make it salable as commercial? I've never sold commercial. Can it be boiled to proper density, filtered and packed for commercial or does it just need to get dumped?
    In the past I had multiple storage locations with less than ideal organization, but I now have just one and it is organized. I need to get this mess cleared out. Any help out there?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have made good sugar from fermented syrup. I have also heard you can dump it in the flue pan at the end of next season and boil it through. I have never done that myself...

It terms of what can be sold as "commercial", the buyer I sell c to will take pretty much anything, but the price varies depending upon if it is filtered. I would speak to a potential buyer to determine what they will buy.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I have run off syrup back through the evaporator when making late season syrup. I pour in a gallon or so at a time. Then I wait a bit and pour in more. By this time I am usually making very dark or commercial. I have also made sugar with some and off flavors usually go away.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

the moldy syrup can likely be heated to packing temperature, filtered, and canned.

the fermented syrup was likely too low density, and not syrup when packed. i have not tried to repack or sell fermented product.

it happens that i found a half-gallon of mine on the shelf from 2004 a few weeks ago, and it is unspoiled.

wally
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

Moldy syrup, skim off as much mold as possible, boil, adjust density, filter. Fermented syrup, boil, you will get a lot of foam. I have a 2x5 gas finisher that works great for such projects, it has a portion down the middle and 2 tube burners under each side. I bring the syrup to a boil. Shut off the gas to one side and let the foam get so high it goes over the partition into the other half of the pan. I then shut off that side and fire up the other side and let it boil over into the outside, repeat. After 3 or 4 times the foam dies off and I adjust for density and filter.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Quote Originally Posted by lew View Post
    Moldy syrup, skim off as much mold as possible, boil, adjust density, filter. Fermented syrup, boil, you will get a lot of foam. I have a 2x5 gas finisher that works great for such projects, it has a portion down the middle and 2 tube burners under each side. I bring the syrup to a boil. Shut off the gas to one side and let the foam get so high it goes over the partition into the other half of the pan. I then shut off that side and fire up the other side and let it boil over into the outside, repeat. After 3 or 4 times the foam dies off and I adjust for density and filter.
    Yes the foam is insane from fermented syrup...alcohol cooking off has been my hypothesis on that one. I also find if you let it foam and then cut the heat and repeat a couple times, the foam then dies.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Being that commercial, processing is not worth much, I'd just wait until next year and blend it in while cooking.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I don't really want to risk making additional bad product by adding it to some that is going to be good product but very dark. While I'd like to get something for this I will not carry it over to possibly contaminate new product.
    I realize how it fermented and that it obviously was under density. At this point I have no idea how it might have happened. I just need to either come up with a viable fix or just dump it and move on. I'd rather sell it as commercial than risk tainting new product next season and if that's not an option, I'll just dump it. I have an excavator and it digs deep holes, far from anybody's well if necessary. Or another option would be to pay the fee and take it to the local water treatment facility.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I don't know where you sell your bulk syrup or if you do sell any bulk. If you were coming to NH Bascom's would buy it. It isn't worth much but it would pay for the gas and maybe a little more. I don't know how much syrup you've got to get rid of. Bascom's has their open house in the early part of May and it would be a good excuse for a road trip.

The syrup I am referring to is the fermented stuff. The mold can be skimmed off of the other syrup then it can be checked for density and heated to 190* and repackaged.
    Last edited by Russell Lampron; 04-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I don't really want to risk making additional bad product by adding it to some that is going to be good product but very dark. While I'd like to get something for this I will not carry it over to possibly contaminate new product.
    I realize how it fermented and that it obviously was under density. At this point I have no idea how it might have happened. I just need to either come up with a viable fix or just dump it and move on. I'd rather sell it as commercial than risk tainting new product next season and if that's not an option, I'll just dump it. I have an excavator and it digs deep holes, far from anybody's well if necessary. Or another option would be to pay the fee and take it to the local water treatment facility.
    Hopefully I don't put my foot in my mouth, but how could you even consider paying a fee to dispose of it? Its not hazardous toxic waste.

How many gallons of this do you have?

I'm sure you could sell it as processing grade, but like russ said, you won't get much for it. Don't feel bad....I lost my whole flue pan contents this week because I didn't get there soon enough. I thought I had at least had two days. Thankfully the front pan was not stringy and I salvaged that.
    Last edited by markcasper; 04-15-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast