+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade evaporator

Default Homemade evaporator

I am thinking of building and was wondering how much it would cost to build a 2x6? I was also wondering what most people use for materials? Angle iron and sheet metal? Or stainless sheet metal? What size angle iron or tubing? I've probably got a lot more questions but cannot think right now. Thanks for everyone's help I do appreciate it!!!

I built my arch with much lighter angle than most: 1.25 by 1/8. Painted carbon steel sheets. Absolutely solid for many years.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I built my evaporator two years ago out of 2" angle 3/16" and stainless sheeting on the sides.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Thanks for the info guys!if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?

I built mine probably 10 years ago so I don't remember what it cost but it was cheap. The small steel angle and 16 gauge sheet-metal you can get online or at a local steel house for a buck or two a pound I think. The trickier bit is making a door I made mine also from 16 gauge, though people make them quite heavy. The steel on the front is much heavier gauge than the sides since it has to support the door I made mine out of 1/8 inch plate. If you have access to a welder that I really recommend making a angle frame parts like this as opposed to starting with an oil tank. Everything is exactly square it's much easier to brick And insulate and I don't think it costs much more at all.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Hey Sly:
    Built this little 2 by 3 a few years ago http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...bby-Arch-Build Total cost was around $285 but I got a great deal on the angle iron frame parts it was metal that the supplier had outside and was a little rusty but cleaned up just fine I got that for free. Add $$$ for arch board and bricks and paint. Good luck on your build. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Thanks again for the info guys I do appreciate it!!! Zucker that's an awesome little rig!

I built a 2x6 last year. Used 2x2x1/8 angle iron 100ft one 4x8 sheet of 16g and one 4x4 sheet of 3/16 one 4x8 ss sheet of 18g made my own pans. fire brick was 3$ apiece. air under fire. arch board insulation from bascoms. All in I've got 1000$ yep a grand. I'm a machinist and have access to all the equipment. I was a fun project just know its gonna cost way more than you will expect.

+ Reply to Thread