+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping, glass specifically

Default Shipping, glass specifically

Looking for ideas on how others ship their syrup, most specifically how they ship their glass containers.

I've had 2 glass orderrs shipped usps flat rate not make it to their destination. The answers I've gotten from the postal service is they must have gotten damaged and were disposed of. Meanwhile neither the customer or the shipper were notified. I haven't had any issues with the plastic containers as of yet but would love feedback on that as well.

Both were well packed, very tightly with bubble wrap and labeled fragile and liquid .

Thanks in advance

To quote both FedEx, USPS and likely UPS, the fragile label on a package does not get special handling. Over the years I've had no glass lost in transit, but I have had 4 shipments that I had to file claims on, 3 with USPS, and the 4th with FedEx. On the FedEx I shipped a 4 gal case of jugs, the case arrived all beat up and 2 gal were missing. On the others, all USPS flat rate, medium each with 2 half gal well packed. 2 never arrived (in 1 of those cases USPS mailed me back the label marked "Damaged in Transit"), the last arrived with significant damage and 1 jug missing, the other jug was ok. Just file a claim. When I file a claim, I claim the selling price of the product and show the invoice where the customer paid plus I charge the shipping cost.
    USPS seems to be getting worse, I shipped for 10 years before I had my first claim, now in the last 2 years I've had all 4 I mentioned above.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I think the better question to ask is how are producers packing glass to avoid breaking in transit and what packing materials are producers using? I recently started shipping as well and prefer to bottle in glass because customers can see the syrup with our label and not the standard plastic jugs. I too am having damaged product from USPS.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I have shipped several quart glass decanters and never had a broken one from usps. I used a small box and wrapped container on newspaper.

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Interesting I bubble wrapped the inside of the box wrapped the decanter jars in bubble wrap added packing paper and taped the s#!% out if it. Must of just had a careless postal worker...
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I put a mesh plastic sleeve over the bottles and wrap them in bubble wrap. I have shipped to KY, CO, RI, and south america and not had an issue
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

We wrap glass heavily with bubble wrap and mail via USPS, but continue to see breakage in transit. Appreciate all your ideas for better packaging.
    Started 2010 with 50 buckets in Victor NY
    1500 sq ft sugarhouse and packaging room
    3000 sq ft visitor center with 20-C kitchen
    2.5' x 10' CDL oil-fired evaporator, CDL RO
    2021: 1500 taps on 3/16 tubing, no mechanical vacuum
    30 beehives
    Producing mead as NYS farm micro-winery

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread