+ Reply to Thread

Thread: losing heat in stack

Default losing heat in stack

I have two home made evaporators a 55gal barrel and a 36x20x24 box I made with a 6" stacks on both. The stacks both 90 out from the back of the evaporators 2 inches from the top. My question is should I lower the stacks a couple of inches so that the heat does not escape fast and gets trap where the pans are or will I kill my draft or make things worse and by the way I get a lot of smoke coming out thru my door my stack are 6 feet tall Thanks any advice would help
    55 gal drum w/ custom made pan fueled by wood
    homemade 24x36 electrical pull box w/ custom pan for standby evap
    RB-5 RO-Bucket
    Started 2011 with 17 taps
    2018 72 taps Drop lines in 5 gal water Jugs

Lower it 2" out the back and then if needed add 2' more height for more draft.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

just a guess.... but if you have smoke coming out the door, you are likely not losing a ton of heat up the stack... or it would be drawing more.
    Sounds like you might want more heat in the stack... or like mentioned.... taller stack.

I'm certainly no expert,.. but the evaporators I've been looking at pretty much all stack from the back top of the evaporator... and most of the attention is given to "forcing" the heat to travel very close to the pan on its way to the stack.

Thanks guys I will try to drop it 2 inches and also add another section of stack
    RB-5 RO-Bucket

Not trying to disagree with MF but maybe just try adding the section of stack first before you drop the exit. Keep that fire as close to the pans as you can. My barrel rig (275 gal. fuel barrel) really pulled more draft once I added more height, only smokes a very little out the door at start up and then nothing.

ok thanks Wannabe ill try that on a practice run this summer
    RB-5 RO-Bucket

+ Reply to Thread