+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermometer for evaporator question

Default Thermometer for evaporator question

I just finished cleaning up my pans for the season.

pans.jpg

Definitely my least favorite part about sugar making.

I'm already thinking about what changes I want to install for next year.

One of the problems I have on my evaporator is the location of the thermometers in the syrup pan. My syrup pan has 2 thermometers, one on each side: one next to the draw-off valve and one next to the sap intake from the flue pan. They are dial thermometers with a 1/4 thread that screws into the side of the syrup pan. A 4" temperature probe extends into the syrup pan.

Thermometer 2.jpg Thermometer 1.jpg

My problem is that I have a hard time seeing the temperature during a boil. I'm 6'3" and usually stand at the front of the evaporator to load wood. My shack is small and it's a pain to have to bend down to check the sap temperature on the dial on the side of the pan.

I was wondering if there is a digital thermometer that attaches to a screw-in probe with a long wire. It'd be great if I had the thermometer at eye level so I can just glance at it to see if the sap it nearing draw-off temperature.

Anyone use something like this?

thanks

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    I just finished cleaning up my pans for the season.

Attachment 16442

Definitely my least favorite part about sugar making.

I'm already thinking about what changes I want to install for next year.

One of the problems I have on my evaporator is the location of the thermometers in the syrup pan. My syrup pan has 2 thermometers, one on each side: one next to the draw-off valve and one next to the sap intake from the flue pan. They are dial thermometers with a 1/4 thread that screws into the side of the syrup pan. A 4" temperature probe extends into the syrup pan.

Attachment 16440 Attachment 16441

My problem is that I have a hard time seeing the temperature during a boil. I'm 6'3" and usually stand at the front of the evaporator to load wood. My shack is small and it's a pain to have to bend down to check the sap temperature on the dial on the side of the pan.

I was wondering if there is a digital thermometer that attaches to a screw-in probe with a long wire. It'd be great if I had the thermometer at eye level so I can just glance at it to see if the sap it nearing draw-off temperature.

Anyone use something like this?

thanks

Mark
    Here is my homemade. Sideways. Wish maple trader would fix that. Happens a lot when uploading from my phone. Pid's came from eBay. Probes are from Auberins, come with different mount options. Listed as maple probes. Bottom number is stack temp. That has a high temp probe from eBay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks William.

I did a quick look on ebay and Auberins.

Looks like I could make a simple digital thermometer with a screw-in temperature probe for about $60.00.

Sweet!

Thanks.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Mark bought a heat control and a type K thermocouple
    On ebay Configured the control for the correct T/C probe and it worked like a charm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I originally bought this digital thermometer from auber last year for my evaporator. I ended up buying an autodraw kit instead. But the digital thermometer is great because it has set temp alarm. Only thing you would gave to do is notify auber about needing a different non pointed probe and a compression fitting to attach it to pan.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I used 1/4" stereo jacks for connectors for the probes going into the box. That way I can remove them for cleaning or storage in off season.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Nice looking units you guys made, I sure wish I was better at working with those kind of things, I'd love to have something like that myself.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread