+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a evaporator from Canada

Default Buying a evaporator from Canada

I had a question in regards to buying a evaporator from Canada and having it shipped to the US.
    Does anyone know what all is required to bring a used evaporator across the border to the US?
    Is it just a purchase agreement or is there more needed? Is there any fees?
    Thanks
    Paul

I was told when I brought my new pans across that if it's $2500 or more you need to declare it and use a broker. I lucked out and the second bigger crossing they sent me to didn't ask and just let me through. I have no idea what the broker costs

I got new pans and hoods from Thor January 2016. I was told to tell customs it was for my farm. They just checked my invoice and sent me through. But that was me trucking. Not sure how it works if having it shipped.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I got new pans and hoods from Thor January 2016. I was told to tell customs it was for my farm. They just checked my invoice and sent me through. But that was me trucking. Not sure how it works if having it shipped.

I think it also depends on who you get at the crossing. I Franklin VT where I usually cross the officer asked for the receipt and told me if over $2500 and regardless of use, it must be declared. She wrote me up and sent me to Highgate where someone there would help me. Well the officer there never asked for anything, other than what I bought, where I was coming from and why I didn't buy CDL! I guess I lucked out

Quote Originally Posted by PerryFamily View Post
    I was told when I brought my new pans across that if it's $2500 or more you need to declare it and use a broker. I lucked out and the second bigger crossing they sent me to didn't ask and just let me through. I have no idea what the broker costs
    I was also told I needed a broker and that there would be broker fees as well as duty fees to cross. Then I went and picked it up on Labor Day Saturday. The crossing was a nightmare, huge lines. Heading in on Friday evening it took about 2 hrs waiting in line to cross but no fees, coming back about noon or so on that Saturday I had to wait in line for about 5 hrs. before I got to the booth to cross. When I got there they asked if I had anything to declare and I pointed to the back of my truck, which was stacked about 5-6' high, with my new 3x8 Thor Pans and hoods plus several sections of SS stack and a Draw off tank. I showed the guard the paperwork and he hemmed and hawed, then said he was not sure what to do, he was new to the job. A little while later another guard was crossing lanes and my guard called him over. After about 5 more minutes that second guard looked at how long the lines were and asked if I wanted to pay the duty. I said "not really" and he waved me thru saying happy holiday. My pans and all total were in the $7000+ range.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I crossed the fall of 2015 with 4x12 pans and preheater hood 4x8 and bunch of other stuff from Thor that belong to my cousins Danny & Thad and they asked me what it was all for and i said the farm, the guard said right answer and looked the stuff over sent me on my way. I had 12,000 to 15,000 dollars worth. It was easy.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-23-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

As stated it all depends on who you get and what kind of mood they are in. Going the other way from U.S into Canada, I have come from the open houses with $700.00-$800.00 worth of stuff and been waved right through,next year I got sent in for inspection since I had a used syrup tank valued at $160.00, they argued with me that since I was commercial if I sell any syrup. I had to leave the tank,apply for an import permit number,then go back,fill out paperwork and pay the tax on the tank. Now I have the permit number but still have to go in and fill out paperwork. My experience with brokers has been much the same,they charge as they feel,have been charged as much as $275.00 on a $45.00 item,NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I cross the border on a regular basis with goods. The rule is $2500 US dollar valve and less can be imported without a broker. Simply fill out a form declaring the value and your information and hand to customs agent. I always hand them the slip that I got from the vendor as well. They check it over and I go inside and pay $13.05 and am on my way. It doesn't matter what it is used for, either farm, business or personal. The agents that are there Monday thru Friday usually take their job pretty seriously, but the weekend crew are a little more relaxed. Just like any job, some people are nicer than others. Good luck.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Not terribly helpful to this conversation, but an interesting example (perhaps) of what it is like dealing with bringing things across the border. There really is no arguing with these folks. You can only hope you are lucky. Knowing the $2,500 rule and stating it is for "farm" use is helpful.

I used to have a small homebuilt aircraft. My instructor had an incident with it which resulted in a prop strike (a story for another time perhaps). Wooden prop shattered, but basically this means you have to tear apart the engine, and measure the shaft trueness to within a thousandths of an inch to see if there was damage. It was a Rotax engine. Three places do major work on these engines in North America -- Oregon, Florida, and Quebec -- a spot just about 60 minutes drive across the border. Obviously I'm headed to Quebec. So I call Canadian Customs to find out the procedure to bring in my engine for repair:

First call (answers in order):
    - can't do it.
    - you can do it, but you need a broker.

Now I've lived in Vermont my whole life and have gone across the border many times, so I know this is crap.

Second call (the following week):
    - can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it yourself, but it is very difficult, so don't try.

Third call (a week later):
    - you can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it, but it is very difficult.
    - you can do it by filling out paperwork at the border (ah....progress).

So I drive to the border one afternoon and go inside to find out what paperwork I would need to do and am told:
    - you can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it by filling out paperwork at the border, but paperwork is very difficult and time-consuming and you must pay a duty on the item (which I can get back after a month if I prove the motor went back to the U.S.).

So I ask....how much is the duty. Answer...."It depends." On what? On whatever the agent decides. So I ask for a range, and am told it could be several thousand $. So I go to the bank, get out a bunch of money, then load the engine in the back of my truck.

Up very early and head out to get started on the paperwork at the border. I tell the sleepy agent at the station I need to go inside to do the paperwork to bring my engine in for repair. He asks where I'm going and I tell him (its a small station just to the west of Montreal). He asks when I'm bringing the engine back to the states. I tell him hopefully it'll be the same day. He waves me through and says...."Have a nice day sir." And off I go.

A 30 minute inspection at the shop and the engine was headed back to the U.S. with a clean bill of health. U.S. customs lets me in with no problems. I had stopped on the way up to have them record the serial # of the engine. As long as the same engine came back all was OK.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Not terribly helpful to this conversation, but an interesting example (perhaps) of what it is like dealing with bringing things across the border. There really is no arguing with these folks. You can only hope you are lucky. Knowing the $2,500 rule and stating it is for "farm" use is helpful.

I used to have a small homebuilt aircraft. My instructor had an incident with it which resulted in a prop strike (a story for another time perhaps). Wooden prop shattered, but basically this means you have to tear apart the engine, and measure the shaft trueness to within a thousandths of an inch to see if there was damage. It was a Rotax engine. Three places do major work on these engines in North America -- Oregon, Florida, and Quebec -- a spot just about 60 minutes drive across the border. Obviously I'm headed to Quebec. So I call Canadian Customs to find out the procedure to bring in my engine for repair:

First call (answers in order):
    - can't do it.
    - you can do it, but you need a broker.

Now I've lived in Vermont my whole life and have gone across the border many times, so I know this is crap.

Second call (the following week):
    - can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it yourself, but it is very difficult, so don't try.

Third call (a week later):
    - you can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it by filling out paperwork at the border (ah....progress).

So I drive to the border one afternoon and go inside to find out what paperwork I would need to do and am told:
    - you can't do it.
    - you need a broker.
    - you can do it by filling out paperwork at the border, but paperwork is very difficult and time-consuming and you must pay a duty on the item (which I can get back after a month if I prove the motor went back to the U.S.).

So I ask....how much is the duty. Answer...."It depends." On what? On whatever the agent decides. So I ask for a range, and am told it could be several thousand $. So I go to the bank, get out a bunch of money, then load the engine in the back of my truck.

Up very early and head out to get started on the paperwork at the border. I tell the sleepy agent at the station I need to go inside to do the paperwork to bring my engine in for repair. He asks where I'm going and I tell him (its a small station just to the west of Montreal). He asks when I'm bringing the engine back to the states. I tell him hopefully it'll be the same day. He waves me through and says...."Have a nice day sir." And off I go.

A 30 minute inspection at the shop and the engine was headed back to the U.S. with a clean bill of health. U.S. customs lets me in with no problems. I had stopped on the way up to have them record the serial # of the engine. As long as the same engine came back all was OK.
    So. It depends.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast