Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    So. It depends.
    That pretty much sums it up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I live very close to the border, back and forth all the time. most of the time there's no problem at all. the odd time you get "a hard nut", but not enough to deter me from going back and forth.

Example:
    two of my brothers are farming in new York, they had a 600 gallon bulk tank they gave me. but bringing it back to Canada I new i would need a receipt to show the border guard. so we made one for $50. when going through customs i stopped at the american side just to make sure i didn't need any paper work to get the tank across, the guy asked me what it was worth and I replied "what will you give me for it" (after talking with this guy for a few minutes, he was a good guy). he laughed and sent me on my way. the Canadian border was on goggle trying to put a value on the tank because they thought $50 was way to cheap, 2 hours later I got out of there only paying duty on the $50, made for a cheap tank.

so it depends. Lol
    Ian McDonald
    2000 on vacuum
    1000gph cdl ro
    2.5'x12' intensofire

I ordered over a hundred Smartrek transmitters from the manufacturer in Canada. I was worried about the tax when they went through customs. They were shipped UPS. The people at Smartrek said there would be no tax because of NAFTA and they were right. The only holdup was for needed additional paperwork having to do with electronics meeting US regulations. I am sure if I tried to drive them across there would be a big problem.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ontario Ian View Post
    I live very close to the border, back and forth all the time. most of the time there's no problem at all. the odd time you get "a hard nut", but not enough to deter me from going back and forth.
    I agree. Most of the times it is a non-event. Other times it is just plain puzzling.

Went to Ontario several years ago to present at a maple meeting. Had an official invitation letter from the Ministry of Forestry. Got to the border..."come on inside", produce passport, wait 30 min as they go in the back, produce driver's license, wait 30 min, produce UVM photo id, wait for 30 min. Finally they come out and ask what other ID I have. I said "The last thing I have is my Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association Membership card. Either let me in or turn me around." They let me in.

Another time I was coming back from New Brunswick. Got to the border and a car pulls away from the station immediately when I arrive. The U.S. Customs agent starts with the usual questions, then goes on to other things, and more. We (wife and I) sit there and chat with him about a bunch of things for about 15 minutes. Finally, another car pulls up behind us. Agent says, "have a nice day" and off we go. Basically he was so bored he wasn't going to let you go until somebody else came along for him to chat with.

You just never know what's going to happen....and you are definitely at their mercy.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Nothing like a lack of uniformity in government enforcement.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12