+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st time poster-half pint question

Default 1st time poster-half pint question

Hi all, after two years boiling on my shop wood burner I decided to get a half pint supreme. Got it all bricked and cured. When I boiled water with the baking soda to clean the pan I had a super rolling boil on the center drop flue section and not so much on the flat sections. So it seems to me the center will reach 219 long before the flat end where I want to draw off nearly finished syrup. I have never used an evaporator or gradient system before, am I over thinking it and it will work, or is there a procedure to follow I am missing?

Thanks
    David

Sap beging added to one side, or the other, it will flow to the opposite side as it is concentrated. Keeping the level in the pan consistant is important, so the gradient goes from sap to syrup. The center, boiling at a faster rate will just bring more, less dense sap, in. At least, that is how mine works out.

In my little raised flue rig, the flat syrup pan portion of the rig takes FOREVER to boil with straight water or raw sap, while the flue pan takes literally minutes. Once the syrup pan gets more dense and closer to syrup, it takes much less time at start up to get that to boil for some reason. So perhaps you didn't boil long enough to get the flat parts to boil good?
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Dave,
    You don't get a true picture of what will happen until you have sap boiling in the pan. The flues will always boil harder, but don't worry, the syrup will end up at the draw off valve when dense enough. Just keep a good hot fire and keep adding sap where instructed.
    The first draw off will take what seems to be way too long, but it will happen. Just have enough sap to boil hard at least 3 hrs before first firing the arch up to get enough sugar in the pans to protect it from freezing. After that first time, you can boil each time you have enough sap to boil, but I suggest you don't boil if you don't have at least 2 hours worth boiling time. Too many short boils results in darker syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sounds like I am over thinking. Thanks for the tips, I am excited to get started this year. Long boil times wont be a problem when the peak hits,I am retired and taping more than recommended for this size evaporator.

Thanks again
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Wayne View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I am excited to get started this year. Long boil times wont be a problem when the peak hits,I am retired and taping more than recommended for this size evaporator.David
    Me too. Just hope I don't get too "tired" Good luck with your new system.

+ Reply to Thread