+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDL evaporator vs leader

we run a 4 by 12 cdl with air tight front and air grates. definatly not a intenso fire but better than natural draft. didnt think we were gonna like crossflow pans either but after we started running them dont wanna go back to traditional. if i was to buy another new one i wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    Going with a 3x10.....Leader sales rep said 85gph sap and CDL rep said 110 gph.....
    We've run both a Leader 3x10 (regular pans and Max pans) with a Revolution front pan and a Steam-away and CDL/Dallaire 3x10 (plain Jane...no bells or whistles) rigs. Both were oil-fired units. Calculating both for straight units (without Steam-away), I think the evaporation rates would be very similar....and right around 90-95 gal/hr. With the Max backpan the Leader rig might do a bit better, but then you'd also be using a bigger oil nozzle, so the efficiency would be about the same. We have extensive efficiency numbers on the Leader, not quite as much on the CDL. We actually had 2 complete sets of pans for the Leader rig and 4 complete CDL evaporators until about a year ago. Wood-fired would likely be a bit different results in terms of efficiency, and it would depend upon what you were using for an arch and blower options. The Leader Revolution is a bit like a hybrid between cross-flow and reverse flow. CDL is a straight cross-flow and the plumbing connections are a bit simpler. If you go with the CDL, get one extra front-pan for changing out/cleaning. They both are fine rigs....just a bit different in how they operate.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-21-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Leader does offer Cross flow pans , they just don't push them.I know of several guys within a 2 hrs drive of me running Oil fired leaders with cross flow pans.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I run a 3x10 CDL oil fired deluxe with cross flow pans. After using reverse flow in the past for 13 years, I would hate to ever have to make syrup on a reverse flow pan again. CDL oil fired 3x10 is rated for 108 and comes complete with preheater. We never calculate the boil rate, but after RO I'm putting about 1,000 gallons of hour of sap through it and I would think we are putting least 120 gallon per hour through it with drawoff. First year of using it and I was extremely happy with how it performed. Get at least one extra crossflow pan and swap at least one of the pans every day. Helps keep scale down a ton and cross flow pans so each to drain and change unlike a reverse flow pan which is a pain. If a 3x12 will fit in your sugarhouse, go with a 3x12. CDL 3x12 is rated at 130 gph and only uses 1/2 gallon more of oil to gain another 22 gallon per hour and cost is just a few hundred more vs 3x10.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I have an Algier 2x6 so I can't say which one is better, Leader or CDL. What I can say is that I ran a wood fired, no bells and whistles CDL 3x10 evaporator once and was really impressed with the cross flow pans. I wish that I had them on my 2x6.

Both manufacturers make great products with after sales support that is top notch. I would purchase either brand but would probably give the Lapierre evaporators a good look too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

The 85gph and 110gph was I believe natural draft no preheat....I have an older 3x10 now and I get about 55-60 gals an HR, I think due to poor smoke stack(old leaky, not tight to arch collar) so I wanna see closer to a 100or better. I will use a blower. Sounds like everyone likes the cross flow, I can see how they would be much easier to clean. I would like an intense o fire, but the arch is like 10-12k more!!! I will upgrade arch years later......I just wanna have something that is efficient or halfway efficient, my rig now is pieces together (old arch, new pans, brick and insulation board). And the evaporation rate is low, we make 5-6 gals an HR of syrup running 9-10 %. Which disgusts me but it has worked for now we make 7-900 gals a year, until I add more taps this year.....
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Yeah, they really think those high efficiency arches are something special the way they price them. I'm sure they're really great, don't get me wrong, but I got a quote for a 3x12 intense-o-fire last spring and I think it was around $32k. I bought a very nice used 4x14 instead (not that 32k was an option) and could have bought a brand new economy car with the difference. If you already have new pans have you considered just buying an arch, or having one fabbed up? There's several guys on here running intense-o-fire clones with great results.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Look at H2O Innovation, they are very aggressive on their pricing. Also check out Sunrise Metals, they have some nice evaporators that are much more competitively priced. Lappierre has good equipment too.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

And Thor. My friend had an all-stainless but plain Jane 3x12 delivered to his door for right about $9000 last year. He says he's doing about 110-120 gph on it.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Regardless of what you get I would spring for an insulated air tight arch front, I like Leaders door a little better but I'm not too excited about their prices.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast