+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDL evaporator vs leader

Default CDL evaporator vs leader

Just wondering about others experience on CDL rigs....Do they perform as expected... Leaning towards buying a CDL versus a leader but don't want to regret that decision so I thought I'd ask how others input
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I'd talk to the closest dealer from both and see who you were more comfortable with. Or maybe you already have and prefer one over the other? Which one will answer the phone at 9PM and be willing to help you out?

Pretty much all the manufacturers make good rigs. I don't know anyone who has been disappointed with their CDL rigs. I have met two guys with intense-o-fires that both really like them. I'd check out Thor too. They're in Quebec too and have great prices. I know several people who are happy with their Thor rigs or pans. Leader is made in Vermont and they seem to have product support that exceeds most of the other guys.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I would compare size rig vs evaporation rate vs price. Everyone makes good evaporators. Some are more efficient and some boil faster. What are you looking for?
    Brian Ryther
    Mill Hollow Maple
    10,000 taps
    3 Liquid Ring Vac Pumps
    5x14 Leader Vortex Evap
    Lapierre 2000 RO
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x3/brianryther/

I obviously put my vote in for Leader, might burn more wood than some other rigs, but out boils all the neighbours, so I can get done quick and go out checking the woods. Really performed well this year with the steam away,95 % of the boils were at night after bus runs and farm chores, a 3x14 boiling 350 gallons per hour easily is what helped us keep up from what would have otherwise been late nights boiling.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I can't speak as to what company makes a better rig but if and when I get a new evaporator and pans I would get a rig with 2 or even 3 cross flow syrup pans, and have at least one spare so I could be cleaning one every day.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

My preference was towards the Leader. I looked at CDL, but I didn't like double doors and preferred the single door. I think the quality of the welds looked better as well but either way you will probably be happy with your purchase. Good luck!

Going with a 3x10.....Leader sales rep said 85gph sap and CDL rep said 110 gph....I guess looking at price the CDL rig is about 3-4000 less....I'm sure as most say they make a good rig I do t know about the syrup pan set up, I'm used to a 4 partition pan traditional front to back flow, and​ CDL uses the 2 cross flow front syrup pans.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    Going with a 3x10.....Leader sales rep said 85gph sap and CDL rep said 110 gph....I guess looking at price the CDL rig is about 3-4000 less....I'm sure as most say they make a good rig I do t know about the syrup pan set up, I'm used to a 4 partition pan traditional front to back flow, and​ CDL uses the 2 cross flow front syrup pans.
    I like the cross flow setup way better than a traditional reverse flow. 85 seems a little low from a 3x10. 110 seems kinda high. Are those both natural draft with no preheater numbers? I would bet that the same guy running both rigs (assuming same setup in regards to pan lengths, blower vs natural draft etc) would be able to get very similar numbers from each rig. $3-4k is a pretty big chunk of change.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I just completed my first season with my 3'x10' Intense-o-fire and was really happy with it. With dry hard wood you could expect 130-150 gph. I had mediocre wood and ran it in gasification mode and got around 120gph stoking it every 30 minutes. I have a friend with a 2.5x10 Leader Vortex with max pans and a steamaway who boils at around 240gph stoking every 6 minutes, so it really depends on your objectives. Both are very nice rigs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast