+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking bulk tank question

Default Leaking bulk tank question

I have a leaking 300 gallons ss bulk tank. It will drain to about the final few inches. It leaks much more quickly when it is full and slows as the head is lost. I am unable to tell from where it leaks. The sap drips appear at the the bottom outside edge, so it is coming from somewhere between the insider liner and the outside cover. Does anyone have suggestion of how to determine where the actual leak is and a suggestion of how to seal the tank?
    Thank you.
    Malcolm

Try cleaning the tank and then get in the tank. You should be able to find any possible leak. Best to weld it, but there might be accepted patches for food contact. Check closely any seams, they will be most likely the spot, and also any dings or other flaws in the surface.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you fill with water and let it leak till it stops... you should be able to mark the level of the leak... and start searching...
    I would recommend getting someone to tig weld it for you. If it is a stress crack starting, it might only get worse over time, if not welded.

Does the outside shell have a small condensation drain hole on the bottom, at the outlet end? Do you have a compressor and a blow gun with the cone-shaped rubber nozzle at the end? If so, maybe you could fill it with water and put just a little pressure in between the liner and the shell and then watch for bubbles?

Just thinking out loud here. Other than that, your going to have a tough time trying to find a fine stress crack. Not impossible, but tough.

Might be worth a shot. Let us know what happens.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Awesome idea, Buckethead... I hadn't thought about the shell being airtight enough to hold some air pressure.. But if it is, that's the ticket..

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I think it is a stress fracture as it leaks more when it is a colder temperature which may be due to slight contracting of the metal.

+ Reply to Thread