+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing a water jacket canner

Default Sizing a water jacket canner

Just wondering how you size for a canner? One that will hold all days production?,( would have to be pretty big), or one that will hold a few hours worth of boiling? Currently drawing off syrup at 12 gallons per hour
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I sized mine by what my typical batches are to bottle. I got a 16 gal because of that. Most of my SS barrels are 26.5 gal, thus when I am bottling from a barrel, I then do it in 2 batches. For that I pump the entire barrel into my finisher, bring it up to about 200 F, then I actually filter it again and send the refiltered syrup to the bottler. When the bottler is near empty, I check the temp in the finisher, if it is still at 195 or more I just send it thru the filter and to the bottler, if below 195 I bring it back up to 200 and send it thru the filter and into the bottler.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread