+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cupola or vent?

Default Cupola or vent?

Planning a small shack that will also double as storage.

I was struggling with the best way to design cupola trusses and windows, etc and thought that maybe a steam vent would be a better/simpler idea. So along with the stack I would have another vent (or two?) for venting with a pull down (or temporary) steam hood. I think that would be easier to design/build. Downside is aesthetics. It wouldn't look like a traditional sugar shack.

Anything else I should be considering in the decision?

Thanks
    Last edited by wobbletop; 04-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

If you have a steam box/preheater, then a vent stack (or two) works very well. If your evaporator is open-topped, then a cupola might be in order. If a truly traditional look is what drives you, then don't forget the ramp for the horse.

I would try the cupola. We will built our sugarhouse last year with a lot of help from this site, pictures and our own ideas. The end result is something people want to be a part of when we are boiling. Another part of your consideration is how big of a evaporator do you have? We have a 2*6 without a steam hood and when the weather is right it can be a steamy affair.

My first sugarhouse when I was a kid back in the 70's was 8x12 and we just had removable panels on the gable ends. Panels were about 4' wide and pointed on top to match the roofline. Had a 2x4 evaporator and it wasn't steam free inside but not too bad, steam went up and had to take a 90 degree turn to exit either end. We later went with a 2x6 in the same building, added a cupola, and sometimes you couldn't see across the room.

My half pint was in an 8x12 building with a shed roof. The steam went up, followed the roofline, and exited between the rafters and top of wall, about a 2/6 width slot along the length of the building. It worked fairly well.

The cupola may be more efficient and looks nicer but a bit complicated to build. I have one on my new sugarhouse but it is a little undersized and isn't centered above the evaporator. Might not be necessary if you have a small evaporator and have another way to let out the steam.

I think having a little steam inside is cool! But that's just me.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    My first sugarhouse when I was a kid back in the 70's was 8x12 and we just had removable panels on the gable ends. Panels were about 4' wide and pointed on top to match the roofline. Had a 2x4 evaporator and it wasn't steam free inside but not too bad, steam went up and had to take a 90 degree turn to exit either end. We later went with a 2x6 in the same building, added a cupola, and sometimes you couldn't see across the room.

My half pint was in an 8x12 building with a shed roof. The steam went up, followed the roofline, and exited between the rafters and top of wall, about a 2/6 width slot along the length of the building. It worked fairly well.

The cupola may be more efficient and looks nicer but a bit complicated to build. I have one on my new sugarhouse but it is a little undersized and isn't centered above the evaporator. Might not be necessary if you have a small evaporator and have another way to let out the steam.

I think having a little steam inside is cool! But that's just me.

Dave
    Love to see pics of your first shack Dave!!! Is it still in place and being used?
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread