+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interior walls of sugar house

Default Interior walls of sugar house

Anyone have experiance or thoughts on usiing blueboard (bathroom sheetrock) for interior walls? Thanks, Ted

I am a building contractor in my other job. We use a few different types of MR drywall (moisture resistant). I do not see it working out well at all in a sugarhouse. Drywall does not hold up well in damp environments especially an unheated building like a sugarhouse. Also washing and cleaning walls would not work well. If I was building a new sugarhouse I would use FRP sheets anywhere that would be exposed to steam, water or potential mold. I have pine walls with poly and they are showing water stains and are hard to clean and definitely looks far from new. The FRP cleans right up.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

It is what i have in m sugarhous..its been upfor 5 years now and no problems....use a good paint and i rinsse yhe walls down each season...for the price i love it...
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

I also work in the construction industry. I'm a commercial and residential construction cost estimator. I second the FRP panel! there is also another product that is called "trusscore" that I would recommend. they are easy to install and come in long lengths and can be used without a plywood backer. the FRP is a good product also however!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Our sugar house is timber framed in hemlock and walls are hemlock tongue and groove. Rough sawn side out, milled side facing the interior. Nothing on it at all and after 8 years still looks like new. I think any stain or finish may be a problem with the steam; with plain wood the steam seems to keep it all looking new and fresh. I hose it all down at the end of the season also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Sorry morningstarfarm, I'm unclear on your responce. You've had what on your walls for five years? Bluerock or FRP? Ted

We went with FRP on the walls and ceiling and are really happy with it and so was the State inspector. We also used solid vinyl firing strips and trim so everything was washable. All screws and fasteners used are stainless steel.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

White steel liner panel is good too. We have a few areas done with it, and it cleans up easy. The FRP is a good choice also, I just can't whole heartedly​ endorse it because I HATE installing it. The MR might be ok if you use the right paint
    -JoeKing

Bluboard or green board moisture resistant sheetrock will grow mold...It it resist moisture....I'm a drywall contractor of 15 years....If you use a gypsum product go with the E2xp from national gypsum or a comparable, it's an exterior sheathing board wrapped with fiberglass, I'd you paint use an epoxy grade Industrial coating.....Your better off with frp it will never cause an issue
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Our sugar house is timber framed in hemlock and walls are hemlock tongue and groove. Rough sawn side out, milled side facing the interior. Nothing on it at all and after 8 years still looks like new. I think any stain or finish may be a problem with the steam; with plain wood the steam seems to keep it all looking new and fresh. I hose it all down at the end of the season also.
    "Au-naturel" , it can't be bad to use untreated timber. If it was then we couldnt make maple syrup from free ranging maple trees. I'm with Jonh on this one and someday my dream shack will have that same look and style.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread