+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bourbon barrel aged syrup

Default Bourbon barrel aged syrup

I'm going to try some bourbon barrel aged syrup. I got 2@5gal and 1@10gal once used bourbon barrels. For any of you who have done this, what is your proceedure? prep, packing temp? other things to do?
    I was told to put some hot water in the barrels to swell the oak to help minimize leaks, then pack at 190. Then rotate the barrels every week or 2.
    Any info appreciated.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I soaked the outside of the barrel for a day, then packed at 190. It's been a couple weeks and so far no leaks. I check daily. I will let you know how it turns out.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Just wondering, would it be advisable to spray a water mist over the barrel every few days once filled, to keep the wood tight and minimize leakage, along with the evaporative cooling effect?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I bought a 5 gallon one also and put a fifth of small batch bourbon in it. It is sitting in the kitchen and I rotate it every day. I am leaving it for 2 weeks then draining the bourbon out, drink it then hotpack with good tasting NH syrup. I do not know the correct procedure but cannot wait for Christmas to come this year.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

How long are you guys aging it for?

I am storing the barrell in my cellar which stays about 55 all summer long. Going to open during the Christmas season but ideally let sit for 7 years for the ultimate finish.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    I am storing the barrell in my cellar which stays about 55 all summer long. Going to open during the Christmas season but ideally let sit for 7 years for the ultimate finish.
    I assume you mean 7 months?

You have assumed wrong. I meant as I said 7 years.

+ Reply to Thread