Quote Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
Look into a generator and a submersible pump. You also will have much less line friction with an inch and a quarter pipe (but more sap to drain from pipe).
We have one set up that is 900' with 35' of constant rise on 3/4 pipe and it takes 60psi at the pump to get 5gpm discharge at the sugarhouse using a 1/2hp shallow well pump.
The other set up is 1600' with 40' constant rise on 200' of 1" and 1400' of 3/4", and it takes 120 psi at the pump to get 10gpm discharge at the sugarhouse using a 3/4 deep well submersible. Both places have a generator to run the pump.

If our pump lines were larger diameter pipe, it would surely cut down on the pipe pressure, but we balanced that with the amount of sap left in the line after pumping and decided to use 3/4".

You could calculate the friction loss on your pipe at a desired gpm of flow and it would give you the required pressure. I think you'll find anything with a gas motor wont be capable of creating enough pressure. Unless you are using a high pressure gas pump, and I have no experience with those as far as flow rates. I know my 2" gas pump will only create about 45-55 psi.

engineeringtoolbox.com is helpful with friction loss and pressure calculations. There is also a few threads on here about long distance sap pumping that are helpful.