+ Reply to Thread

Thread: finally getting a filter press, have lots of questions.......

Default finally getting a filter press, have lots of questions.......

hi all - i am finally upgrading my filtering setup to a filter press, and I have a ton of questions. I know there are some threads here but was hoping to get some refreshed information given the newer technology / models. For a quick background, I have 200 taps in natural 3/16 vac and produce / bottle 6-10 gallons of syrup a day.

My first questions are around processing. Will i be able to process only 6-10 gallons per day even with the smaller press? How long can I leave the press filters in place, one day, one week, a month?

Does the syrup need to be boiling temperature to work through the press or just warm? If not boiling, is there a temperature the syrup needs to reach first?

For the hand pump vs gear pump, does anyone have a really strong reason / experience to not get the hand pump? the cost seems pretty appealing and i think it will work for the small amount of syrup ill be processing.

In terms of the press material, it look like there are basically aluminum, plastic, and stainless. Does anyone have a major opinion one over the other?

thanks!!!

First of all, you will REALLY like having a filter press. We do about the same size of batches as you do and our 7" short bank works great for it. My wife was a little hesitant on our spending $1200 on a press, but after one time using it, she said she wished we had gotten it much sooner.
    First question: We change our filter papers and filter aid for every batch. It costs about $1 for the six filter papers and the filter aid you use for each batch (on a short bank model). We don't feel it is worth the risk of blowing a filter paper and having to redo the whole batch. I know others on here don't agree with doing that, but we just don't feel it is worth the time to take the chance.
    Second Question: The syrup needs to be hot to work well in a filter press. We draw off from our finish pan as soon as the batch of syrup is ready, so it is near boiling when we process it.
    Third Question: We opted for the gear pump version after talking to a couple of people that had a hand-pump model. They said for smaller batches that a hand pump was fine, but for 6-10 gallon batches that it would be nice to have the gear pump version. It is nice to flip the switch and in a couple of minutes the entire batch is ready for bottling.
    Fourth Question: At the time we got ours, the plastic models had just come out and we decided to go with the proven technology, aluminum. If we were to be doing it over now, we would probably look at the new stainless steel models that are available. Smoky Lake is selling one that looks very nice and because of its design, you can't screw up and put a plate in backwards. It is possible to reverse a plate in our unit, but so far, we haven't done that.

One thing for sure, regardless of what version you go with, you will definitely like it.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

You will love it, I can't add any more than one that because this my first year and still learning. I can't believe I have been using cone filters to do 150 gal syrup last year, 250 the year before, I love to abuse myself I guess.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Skip the gear pump. Get an air powered diafram pump. Industry is trying to get away from brass pumps.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

You will love the press, which ever you choose. Brass gear pumps are being phased out, I suggest you get an air powered diaphragm pump. If that just doesn't fit the budget, get the hand pump and when you can "fit" a diaphragm pump into the budget change the hand pump for the diaphragm pump.
    Syrup must be filtered hot, must be over 190F, I prefer 205-210F, then bottle immediately so the syrup is still over 180F. I used to do 6-8 gal batches, very easy on a powered pump short bank press, I'm not so sure about a hand pump model on that. I have since, gotten a finisher and filter enough to fill a barrel (26.5 gal) or the bottler (16 gal) at a time, but I have added 2 sets of plates to my short bank press. My press was a gear pump model, and as the pump needed to be rebuilt I got a diaphragm instead. Huge improvement.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. This answers a lot. With regard to the type of material the press is made of, how important is being heat resistant? I can see how plastic absorbs far less heat, keeping the syrup hotter? Or does it actually have a reverse affect in cooling the press quicker once out of syrup and therefore needing more priming again before the next batch? Does stainless absorb too much heat and have the opposite affect of plastic? Not sure if this is even relevant.

last question, a part from having easy access to materials like papers and filter aid during the season, how important is being close to a dealer / person to service the pump? Do pieces / components break or become worn down over time and need be replaced often (at least once a season)?

Thanks again.

they have come out with stainless steel gear pumps.

as I am boiling I will filter a gallon of syrup at a time so it stays hot.

as for filter aid and filter papers buy the full packages it will be cheaper. a 50lb bag of filter aid is going to run you about $27 to $30 depending on your dealer you are in VT so I am sure there are some folks around that you can get stuff pretty easy or a trip to bascoms isn't out of the question once year either. a box of 7" filter papers is going be about $65 to $80 and you should get at least 2 seasons or more out of those.

you can search you tube to get an idea of how to use them. Keep an eye out on here I got mine from but in VT about an hour north of you and got a wesfab full bank machine with only plates for a short bank which is 4 plates and 3/4 bag of DE and 3/4 cs of filter papers for $900.00 great deal. I love it you can actually filter about 5 gallons of syrup in about 30 seconds and its cyrstal clear.

a 7inch short bank will be able to filter about 10 to 15 or so gallons of syrup depending on how much DE you are using and a full bank should get you through 40ish gallons at a wack. but you will break down the the machine and clean it after each use.

Bascom's is actually having their spring sale right now so if you are looking to buy new sale is 10% so you can save a bit.

have fun!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Did I read that correctly, 6-10 gal of syrup a day with just 200 taps?

If his sap is 3% it's possible
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

I have a plastic frame press with air pump. I can put my hand on the plates during filtering so it's especially nice with a few young ones running around. I lose very little temperature from fluid going in to fluid coming out. And it's really nice to show visitors the workings of the press as you can see the syrup filling the press and when it's starting to fill up with DE. I had one of the very first models where they had some issues with the molds but Leader stood behind it, gave me brand new plates and all has been good since.
    150 on 12v Shurflo pump
    250 buckets

+ Reply to Thread