+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air operated pump options

Default Air operated pump options

With the 2017 season over and a great yeild (.51 per tap) I am looking to replace the gear pump that blew while filtering our last batch of syrup. Do you guys use air pumps that are from a maple supplier or is there cheaper food grade options out there?

I got my pump on ebay. You want to get one with Teflon diaphragms and aluminum or stainless body. I recommend that you get a 1/2" pump so that you can use it for pumping cold syrup too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I bought a 3/8" pump. To pump syrup under about 60 degrees it is slow, thus I bought an electric barrel heater.
    Once you get an air powered diaphragm pump you will never go back to a gear pump.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Taking this into consideration we went with the stainless pump from Smokey lake. Only 650$ compared to over 1000$ for leaders aluminum pump

+ Reply to Thread