+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lags vs wrapping end tree for mainlines

Default Lags vs wrapping end tree for mainlines

I'm getting ready to install some new mainlines. What is the best way to install the mainline wire to end trees so the least amount of damage is done to tree? Are lags capable of holding 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" wet and dry mains?
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

We go around tree with the wire and use old tubing on the wire and also put some small pieces of wood between the wire and tree to help protect the tree,pulling wire tight using wire gripples,then side tie using old tubing and a lighter gauge wire around tree's to make mainline wire tight.

I set up the sameway as sugarman with the gripples, side tie's, and tensioners, but I use lags with insulators at my tree ends. I only have 1" mainline, but I helped a guy probably 6-7 years ago set-up a 5k tap bush. We lagged everything and he had a 1 1/2" wet and dry line. He's had no issues, and he would tighten his tensioners to the point that he could not pull them another click.

I use a lag at the low end and loop around at the high end.
    My day wouldn’t be complete without some goof-up out in the woods.
    The loop on the high end makes it fast and relatively easy to add slope if need be.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

I use the lags with plastic insulators from leader evaporator

Another vote for the lags from Leader Evaporator,some of our maples have been girdled from the wire going around them,even using old tubing
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I've done both and don't like either method. Yes, the tubing and wire around the tree grows in and putting wood between the wire and the tree is awkward and time consuming. The problem with lags is that they frequently end up splitting the tree. I have drilled a pilot hole and it still splits the tree. If anybody has a better method I'd like to hear it. I also don't like how the side ties grow into the trees. Even when they're encased in tubing. Seems like someone would come up with a solution.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

I used to wrap the end tree and protect it using blocks of wood. After girdling too many trees I now use heavy galvanized drive hooks (like those used by utility companies). After 2-3 years I use a puller to relieve the tension, back the hook 2-3 turns out and reconnect the line. I like this method best. Like these https://www.linemen-tools.com/J_Hook...6p-si-3000.htm However I bought a box of 50 for $28 shipping included a few years ago. I think they were thru Amazon or Ebay. I had to buy 50.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Flats, Any problem with the tree splitting above and below the anchor? I seemed to do more damage to the tree with these anchors. Are you drilling a pilot hole?

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

I like the lags as well I use the same lag to hold my wire and tension grip. I have not had any splitting issues. If I can I avoid putting lags in maples.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast