+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water jacket canner

On my Smoky Lake WJ bottler, I have it set up with a site tube for the water level. I ran a 1/4" T coming out of the drain fitting and put a 1/4 MPT x 5/16 barb fitting pointing up, then a close nipple and a ball valve to drain the water jacket. On the barb I put a piece of 5/16 maple tubing. Near the top I used some super sticky tape which holds it from tipping. The site tube helps me know the water level. I fill it until the water reaches the top of the tape. Then when it is heated it is up about 1/4" above the tape and is still about 1/2" below overflow.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Mark.
    I built my own heating unit. Mine is set up with a thermostat probe in the water to keep that at 190. I have another probe in the syrup tank to tell syrup temp.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

William are you using the auto fill that buckhollow was selling or something else? Were you having trouble maintaining temp without insulation? I'm very interested in one especially if I can reheat as well as bottle. Great information here. Thanks
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    William are you using the auto fill that buckhollow was selling or something else? Were you having trouble maintaining temp without insulation? I'm very interested in one especially if I can reheat as well as bottle. Great information here. Thanks
    Sorry to barge in here.... I do not have a problem maintaining temp at all, and mine is not insulated, it has a 5000 watt element in mine which was stock with the unit. You can boil water all day long if you want to. I do have to watch mine close to keep the syrup from going over my desired temp of 192. I do have to turn down the thermostat as you drain the unit of syrup or the remainder will get too hot and make more sand.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Sorry to barge in here.... I do not have a problem maintaining temp at all, and mine is not insulated, it has a 5000 watt element in mine which was stock with the unit. You can boil water all day long if you want to. I do have to watch mine close to keep the syrup from going over my desired temp of 192. I do have to turn down the thermostat as you drain the unit of syrup or the remainder will get too hot and make more sand.
    Fine with me any info is great did you get the complete unit from kellybees? I see they have options for heating elements and such. Thanks
    Jared

yes, about 15 years ago.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    I built my own valve. Did not use it much before I added insulation. It seemed like it would use less electricity if insulatednand I don't have to worry about someone getting burned on the tank.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I built my own valve. Did not use it much before I added insulation. It seemed like it would use less electricity if insulatednand I don't have to worry about someone getting burned on the tank.
    You built your own auto fill/stop valve? What probe sensor did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gmc8757 View Post
    You built your own auto fill/stop valve? What probe sensor did you use?

Probe is a piece of wire. It is all in the electronics in the box....
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Probe is a piece of wire. It is all in the electronics in the box....
    I understand it's all in the electronics but thought a special probe was needed. It now makes total sense that a piece of wire would do the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123