+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water jacket canner

I have been using this for for many years and works great. Run the syrup off the press and keeps it warm, drains completely. Way cheaper than what any maple equipment supplier will be.
    https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/18/H...le-Boiler-Tank
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I have been using this for for many years and works great. Run the syrup off the press and keeps it warm, drains completely. Way cheaper than what any maple equipment supplier will be.
    I have the same one. If you need a 40 gallon this is a great price. I set up my own heater for very little money.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Default Cdl vs smoky lake

How do prices compare ... what does a 15 gallon cdl unit cost that runs off 120... does smoky lakes smaller unit come with a stand?
    2010 - 28 taps, homemade brick arch
    2011 - 421 taps, 2' x 6' homemade evaporator
    2012 - 276 taps
    2013 - 385 taps, new 2' x 6'
    2014 - 600 taps, new 7" short bank filter press

Quote Originally Posted by butler View Post
    How do prices compare ... what does a 15 gallon cdl unit cost that runs off 120... does smoky lakes smaller unit come with a stand?
    For Smoky Lake, I would visit their website to check pricing and options. Also call them. For CDL you might have to call a dealer or see their online catalog.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Smoky Lake does not come with a stand, it is made to set on the front edge of a table or bench. I made a bench with 2 tiers, the bottler set on the higher tier and a gal. just fits perfectly under the draw valve. Then I use 3/4" PVC boards to raise the height for other sizes.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a SL 16 gallon with 120volt element. Take a long time to get syrup back up to 185 after the filter press cools the syrup to 160 or so. We now cover it with large towels to insulate and expedite the warming process. Not a big deal if you have other tasks that need attention in the mean time.
    Be aware of this.... If you fill the water jacket to 100% capacity and then fill the bottler with syrup, expect the fluid pressure of the syrup to push on the walls of the water jacket thus raising the level of water causing it to spill into your finished/filtered syrup. The design and construction is spot welds along the top edge which appear to be intentional. I noticed this during my initial use since the cover is not on when pumping from the filter press and was able to remediate. Stopped to he filter press and let a bit of water out of the jacket. I just don't fill the water that high anymore. A site glass for the water jacket with a max fill line would be an added benefit on this product.
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Would it be possible to put a stainless tee on the bottler & run sections of pipe each way with spouts on ends, so 2 people could bottle?
    Any pictures of yours?
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Here is my Kelley Bee tank. You can see the hose I use for a sight gauge and two fillers. Also I wrapped in two layers of foil bubble wrap for insulation. Kind of hard to tell in the photo but there is an 1 1/2 T with bushing in bottom for fillers and bushing in end for sight hose. I also have a sight hose on jacket drain to see water level.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wiam; 04-18-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I have 2 WJ canners available. New, never used with filter trays thermometer and spout. They hold 11 gallons without the tray

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Here is my Kelley Bee tank. You can see the hose I use for a sight gauge and two fillers. Also I wrapped in two layers of foil bubble wrap for insulation. Kind of hard to tell in the photo but there is an 1 1/2 T with bushing in bottom for fillers and bushing in end for sight hose. I also have a sight hose on jacket drain to see water level.
    William, does your syrup end up getting hotter as you draw down the tank? It seems the thermostat and water temp dont always jive, but I don't have mine insulated either. It also varies in regard to how much water/syrup you have in the tank.

When I got mine, they were suposse to install a therm fitting for a dial thermometer, but didn't happen, so I have one T'd in on the outlet and works ok, but would rather have had a through one straight into the tank..
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast