+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar PV

Hybrid View

Default Solar PV

Has any one here made their own dual axis tracking system.
    I'm looking to do a 12 panel array.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Wow! I'm impressed with your ambition. I'd be challenged to set up a small fixed mounted. My analytical mind would naturally wonder whether a dual axis tracker system would be worth the effort. There are commercial packages available from All Earth Renewable of Williston, VT in the 5 to 6 KW size. They claim 45% more efficiency than a fix array. Therefore, it would seem challenging to develop and build a system that doesn't eat up that efficiency and then you're still left with a complex system of motors and electronics to maintain. Also, the trackers require external power to make their maneuvers.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed with your ambition. I'd be challenged to set up a small fixed mounted. My analytical mind would naturally wonder whether a dual axis tracker system would be worth the effort. There are commercial packages available from All Earth Renewable of Williston, VT in the 5 to 6 KW size. They claim 45% more efficiency than a fix array. Therefore, it would seem challenging to develop and build a system that doesn't eat up that efficiency and then you're still left with a complex system of motors and electronics to maintain. Also, the trackers require external power to make their maneuvers.
    https://youtu.be/BKaqkcYMCvA
    Linear actuators are readily available the angle of the dangle on how you install them is the key.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    https://youtu.be/BKaqkcYMCvA
    Linear actuators are readily available the angle of the dangle on how you install them is the key.
    That part sounds easy. How about the software needed to track the sun? And the logic controllers applying the manuevers? This is way beyond my sugar making skills.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

We have a 40x80 pole barn with a southern-facing roof. Where may I read more information about solar installs? Point me in the right direction, please.
    800 taps
    Smoky Lake 2 x 8
    Great Lakes Guardian Auto drawoff
    H2O Innovation 600 Econox RO
    http://www.childrensheartfoundation....hf/fact-sheets
    https://www.facebook.com/polkaroundfarm/
    http://www.polkaroundfarm.com/

I will get you info on company unused when on get home. They designed it based on what I told them and pictures of rafters and roofing material. They majority of leg work for power company and any other papers I needed. But that was just power company, here in VT there is a saying, " live in VT do what you want" I had no zoning papers to do.or anything like that.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    That part sounds easy. How about the software needed to track the sun? And the logic controllers applying the manuevers? This is way beyond my sugar making skills.
    There are a couple ways to get panels to track. One is with "eyes" which see the sun and keep panels lined up the other is a program that along with a relay board will make the panels track the sun by time of day.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Make sure to include the ability to tip it up to completely avoid snow cover when the forecast is bad.

I looked into it when I put in my 30 panel, 6.32 KW array, (put in in 3 phases) but the studies show that you gain so little that tracking is not a good investment. The only exception might be if you have a very small area to put panels that you need to maximize every square foot of that area.
    I have 2 arrays, 6.32 KW at the sugarhouse, grid tied net metered and the excess is credited to my home bill about 3 miles away, the other is 1.71 KW at the house, totally off grid (the solar, not the whole house).
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-19-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I asked the guy about tilting/tracking setups for solar when I bought my system. To paraphrase his response, he would do it and be happy with making the extra money but the return on investment wasn't there for me as the owner. To each their own. As someone mentioned above, if you had a limited footprint to work with and needed/wanted to maximize production, then it might be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast