+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have some "bad syrup" to get rid of

Last I new a $1.00 a lb was the going rate for commercial. So if you had a drum that would be about $440.00. I used to be embarrassed to bring nasty commercial in but every time I did the buyer would show me syrup that was worse than mine. It has paid for alot of extras at the sugarhouse over the years.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

I know a guy......that was given 4 partially filled galvanized drums of old syrup that had sat in a sugar house for years. He took it home, put it in 3 stainless drums, took it to the packers and walked out with a check for $2550.00 No Lie!
    Many sugar makers walked past those old drums and thought that syrup was worthless

Thanks all, I guess I'll process it, again, get to proper density and put it in some SS barrels. I'll need to recheck, but I likely have 50-60 gal in that mess. The other moldy ones in 5 gal jugs i know I can skim, then boil again, skim again, density verify, filter and pack. They will all go.
    I think this whole lot I found will total 100-120 gal.
    I'll then take it with some very dark from this year, I sell some but very little very dark at retail, and I made 2 barrels of it this year, I'll keep 1 and sell the other bulk.
    I have gone to Bascoms a few times, always to one of their open houses, but lately I've sold my bulk at a local dealer when they have a buyer come in for 3 days either Late April or early May, that will do again this year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'll start working on making the syrup in question saleable on Monday. I did get a more accurate count. It looks like I have 70-75 gal to deal with that is fermented, and then about 20 gal that is molded. I'll boil and skim the moldy stuff first, then move on to the stuff that fermented. That part smells like it has a vinegar smell to it. I'll know next week what the end results are.
    After that I'll also have a fresh barrel (26.5 gal) very dark to sell too. Then I will pull the taps and begin the dry cleaning of the lines. I did some of that today, having pulled the end tap on each lateral, and having re-connected the reds that were removed just before their buds opened. Then I ran the vacuum sucking sap from the lines. I have just 2 mains at the sugarhouse but with both open I only got 10" of vacuum, then I closed one main and the remaining main then had 17.5" vacuum with the 12 or 13 laterals each having the end tap pulled. On Monday I'll do the same on the other main. Each main will get about 4-5 hrs for vacuum to dry the lines before they're done, maybe more.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I processed all of the misc. very dark syrup I had found from years gone by today, got it to proper density (after boiling just a short while I had to add about 5.5 qts of distilled water to bring it down to the right density) and filtered it, then put it filled a 26.5 gal barrel, with 3 qts left over which got jugged. Then I pumped all of the fermented product into the finisher and started boiling. It foamed a lot to start but after skimming the foam enough it settled down. Tomorrow I have more boiling to get it to proper density. About an hour after starting the boil the 'Vinegar" smell was gone, and it now smells like it might be good syrup. I'll finish tomorrow and post the results then. Originally I figured it would all be commercial, now I'm thinking there's a slight chance it might end up as Very Dark, but that might just be wishful thinking. Tomorrow I'll find out.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.

I finished the fermented old syrup, got it to proper density then put it in barrels. I filled a 26.5 gal and a 16 gal barrel. Hot it tasted ok but after cooling it had an off taste, thus it is processing or commercial grade. Will be sold soon.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Fermented syrup, even after it is reprocessed, will often taste a bit "fruity." Not necessarily bad, just unusual. It can sometimes also pick up a metallic off-flavor depending upon what it is stored in, since during fermentation it will get somewhat acidic.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have taken syrup with slight off flavor to Bascom's and not be "commercial"
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Yes, if it isn't too off flavored, and just a little bit, meaning 25% off flavor, it may go as grade A. I have had buyer tell me before that I had the "right kind of off flavor".

Didn't know there was such a grade, but whatever.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I'd be happy if they tell me that when I take it in, but I won't count on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast