+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Troubling Climate Article

Days of complete ice cover on Riley Lake

Observations since 1986 are my own. I do not work for the government or any interest group.

Blue line is a linear regression. Losing about 5 days of cover per decade.

Have a look and draw your own conclusions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    This graphic from NOAA (and in the article) shows that there are definite periods or extreme high and low temperature swings in any given short-term period, however the long-term trend (the blue line) indicates a significant warming trend over the last 100+ years. That's why we have to be careful of over-valuing anecdotal evidence.

Attachment 16395
    In all of your posts, you give no indication of whether you are scared of climate change, or whether you embrace climate change. If you do not think climate change is a good thing, what may I ask are you going to do about it?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

> that's how we got here to begin with

Actually, that's how YOU got here.

>what may I ask are you going to do about it

Basically try to roll with the changes and hope that locally the climate change doesn't impact food production too much. We're way past the tipping point wehere we could have mitigated the coming effects and there are too many forces lined up to actively propagate continuing our ruinous policy. Good luck drinking your oil and eating your coal.

Also, move away from the coast.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    Days of complete ice cover on Riley Lake

Observations since 1986 are my own. I do not work for the government or any interest group.

Blue line is a linear regression. Losing about 5 days of cover per decade.

Have a look and draw your own conclusions.
    I'll offer a few conclusions, #1) Appears as if most, if not all of the recordings from the 80's are missing.

#2) I have no idea where Riley Lake is, but I am assuming it is in and around the cities. I do believe in terms like the "urban heat island effect" as the Twin Cities meteorologists reference, and it is highly likely that the number of ice on the lake days have indeed went down because of the warmer micro climate being caused by the influx of residents, increased concrete, blacktop, buildings, etc....

Not trying to be controversial, just stating a few, in my opinion, very good reasons for the decrease. If all of the 80's were included, it could change the number of days drastically. And in all honesty, 40-50 years is a very short stitch in time compared to the big picture as the Dr. pointed out.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post

>what may I ask are you going to do about it

Basically try to roll with the changes and hope that locally the climate change doesn't impact food production too much. We're way past the tipping point wehere we could have mitigated the coming effects and there are too many forces lined up to actively propagate continuing our ruinous policy. Good luck drinking your oil and eating your coal.

Also, move away from the coast.
    40-50% of the food produced today gets thrown away and wasted in this country.

Read Job 38-41.
    Mark

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Mark,

I offer this data because, at least after the mid 80's, these are direct observations by me. The observations from the 70's was by a previous resident and apparently nobody was writing anything down for a couple of years.

Riley Lake is located about 15 miles SW of Minneapolis. In recent years there has been some significant increase in residential development out here, but for most of that data set I could look out my window (at least in the winter when I could see through my maples!) and see farmland. Weather is in general from the West here. It is possible the city is affecting our temperature here some, but I would have a hard time blaming everything on that.

I'll also grant that this is a small sample. That is a good point, but this is all I have. Much larger durations are recorded for lakes in MN and many other northern many states, but that data is held by government agencies and therefore may be dismissed by those that are suspicious of manipulations. You can be suspicious of me as well, but I can only assure you that this is raw and unadulterated data and it shows a relatively long term trend. In fact, most ice cover data I have seen shows a slower trend than I show here, perhaps because of a longer observation period, or more distance from urban heat islands. But every set of data I have seen show later freezes and earlier thaws. I have seen nothing trending the other way. This isn't fake data, it's direct observations, and in my case, personal observations. I sail iceboats in the winter all over the midwest and pay close attention to when the ice is safe on both ends of the season.

So interpret this however you want. I just thought I'd share with you folks.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

>40-50% of the food produced today gets thrown away and wasted in this country.

A) define "wasted"

B) got a cite?

C) The fact that not every bit is utilized does not preclude the fact that as the plains (and California) states dry up a tremendous upheaval in our food production (grains and meat) will occur. The U.S will probably become a net food importer.

>WE got into this whole "fake news" global warming, opps sorry, climate change crap because people don't care about the actual FACTS behind it.

I'm sorry...97% of climatologists pretty much agree that humans have caused a massive change in the rate of warming thru the burning of fossil fuels.. Do you think the 97% is fake, the climatologists are fake, or something else is fake? Do you think the reports of extreme weather occurences are fake or the storms themselves are fake? Are the reports of warm weather species creeping northward and altering the local ecology fake or are the species themselves fake?

What sources would you consider unimpeachable in this regard?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

eustis22,

I suggest you leave this one alone and back away slowly - very slowly - then run for the door. The counter-argument to the article and graph I posted is being supported by The Natural News, some guy with a digital camera named Scott Thong, and the Book of Job. There's no getting out of this morass safely.

Thank your teachers for teaching you critical reading and thinking skills and back away from this one.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast