+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Boil In Chesterfield

Default Boiingl In Chesterfield

Boiled down another 35 gallons yesterday. Had 2% sugar on yesterday's collections.

I hope any of you from Conway along with your family are safe.........

The evening weather that moved through was intense!!
    Last edited by johnpma; 04-06-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I hope the folks in Conway are all safe too. I did my second boil in W Granville yesterday too (40 gals). I cooked outdoors until dusk and was totally surprised to see the tornado report an hour later. Claimed it went through Otis which is a town away. we saw nothing but a few flurries. PS: I lost patience with my 3/16 line so on Saturday I made some adjustment to try an improved vacuum. Buckets and lines were frozen on Sunday so can tell if the adjustments kicked in yet. My first boil this year was the best tasting ever (60 gallons). Sunday's product was a bit stronger tasting. Mostly sap from reds on Sunday. I can't put my finger on the after taste, almost a slight sting like pepper but not pepper-ish. Gland to hear you had sap running in Chesterfield. Cold and windy in GV yesterday!

We had a low temp last Thursday night of 42. Was 19 this morning and suppose to hit high 40's today. Need those 20 degree nights back with warm days. I too have mostly reds. It was some of the sweetest syrup I have ever made. Very tasty. You had a great day to boil Sat. GV2!!
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

TV stations are reporting that this was the first tornado ever recorded in Massachusetts during February. Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

I have boiled about 400 gallons of sap so far from 96 taps and boiled 6 of the last 8 days. Sap never stopped running during the warm spell, oddly enough. This week is looking decent, should run a few days.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Sounds like your Vacuum pump along with your 3/16" tuning is serving you well Dave.....that's great!!

Collected shy of 60 gallons tonight. Just took dogs out and I hear the buckets in the yard singing their song of sweetness. Sugar content was a. Bit over 2%

Boiled for a couple hours tonight....was worried about the day time high today but sap was 38 degrees even with the 58 degree high today. Going to boil up what we have thurs and Fri weekend will slow things up

Boiled 55 of the 85 gallons we collected yesterday. Trees ran good!! Sugar was 2.25%

Finished 1 1/2 gallons of syrup this morning using my steamer. Worked out very well For a cheap homemade steamer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finished making our second gallon. looks like we might get another shot this week at a run

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast