+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Troubling Climate Article

Default Another Troubling Climate Article

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...ruL/story.html

"Tuesday marked the sixth time this year temperatures have been at least 20 degrees above average. There’s only been one day so far on the flip side, 20 degrees below average. That was in March."

"The trend is clear. While the climate continues to warm, winters are warming the fastest."
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

April 20th 1927 was 89 degrees in Boston

I was out in my boat in Massbay back around April 15th 2003 or 2004 and it was 92 degrees in boston
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Just think about 2014 and 2015 when we didn't see much above freezing weather until late March and early April. In 2015 we didn't get our January thaw until mid March.

In 1938 my grandfather tapped his trees in early March like he always did. He got one run and then it rained for a week and never froze again. I suppose it was climate change, global warming back then too.
    Last edited by Russell Lampron; 04-12-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

A weird day or even year does not support or disprove climate change. However, trends that are observable over 30 years are evidence of climate change. There are many graphs and statistics of this order that show a changing climate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We went into an ice age and came back out of one. Hell we may all burn up or freeze to death. What's gonna happen is gonna happen.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Quote Originally Posted by psparr View Post
    We went into an ice age and came back out of one. Hell we may all burn up or freeze to death. What's gonna happen is gonna happen.
    Amen......

People seem to forget just a few years ago, namely 2013 and 2014, the latest year that I have ever seen and 13 had to have been the coldest winter I've ever experienced. There has been boom years and there has been bust years. I see that one large area sugarmaker quoted to the local TV news station that this average to below average season in Wisconsin was in large part due to climate change. So now even an average season is because of climate change?

Last edited by markcasper; 04-13-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

One warm spell or one cold snap (or season) can and should not be attributable to climate change. However, over the past 50 years it is fairly well documented that the maple production season has shifted slowly to an earlier time frame. There is some evidence that this has been happening for at least 100 years. In addition, the duration of the season, at least across New England and New York, diminished by about 10% over that time. More recently, improvements in sanitation and vacuum are actually extending the season, pushing both the start of the season earlier and the end of the season later, thereby increasing the sap flow season duration. This is a producer response to changing conditions, not a change in the conditions themselves.

While there is some suggestion (particularly in some elements of the public press) that climate change historically resulted in the huge drop in maple production in the U.S., and dire predictions that maple sugaring will disappear from the U.S. over the next 100 years, the story is not nearly as simple as that. In fact, while there are some predicted negative impacts, there is also the possibility of some possible POSITIVE effects, at least in the short (100 yr) time frame. What will actually happen depends upon a lot of things.

While it is true that we've had ice ages and heat waves, such large changes were natural variation in climate that occurred over a fairly long time frame (hundreds to thousands of years), not at all what we're experiencing now, with changes over the span of a few decades, a short enough time that most people can recall the weather from their youth as being far colder. What the vast majority of scientists now accept is that the recent climate change we are experiencing does have a significant component that is human caused.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I will be honest I do care about the climate, the environment, and the future of the earth. There is no doubt that any household with teens or older kids has at least three if not four cars in the driveway. People are living longer thanks to medical advancement which means more people are driving longer and emitting more pollution into the atmosphere. The days of a family having one car are long gone.

What I don't like is when the politicians use all of this to form organizations to study this and use the "good ole boy" system to create jobs for their friends or family members on the taxpayers dime. Or use it to become the next elected and do nothing more than fill their pockets. They right books, give presentations and what should be a concern for everyone becomes nothing more than a money making scheme. If politicians are concerned about the environment they should be the first ones to sacrifice so that the rest of the sheep follow the herd. Motorcades while campaigning and flying across the country to go to their 5th home in Colorado is NOT being concerned about the environment.......
    Last edited by johnpma; 04-13-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    What I don't like is when the politicians use all of this to form organizations to study this and use the "good ole boy" system to create jobs for their friends or family members on the taxpayers dime.
    I agree with you. However it also works the opposite way. Corporations and organizations funded by individuals hire people to debunk the science, oftentimes by obfuscating and twisting the findings in ways that would make a contortionist uncomfortable. Some of the people (pseudo-scientists) they hire know nothing about the field, but will publish all sorts of reports anyhow (not in scientific journals) simply to confuse and delay any action. The early part of my career was spent doing acid rain research. Corporations poured billions into fighting it. End result was that eventually legislation was passed, and the companies dealt with the problem and cleaned up their act. It is truly amazing how polarizing relatively simple issues can become. If the $ spent studying and fighting any action on a problem were actually spent fixing problems, there would be far fewer problems and far more solutions.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast