+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batches through filter press

Default Batches through filter press

I'm a small producer, usually filtering batches of about 5 to 10 gallons at a time through a Wes Fab 7" filter press. I'm wondering about process for sending multiple batches through and storing the syrup for future bottling. Does the filter press typically stay warm enough to use again after sending a batch through, and then bringing another batch to temp? How many times can you do this before changing filter papers? How are people storing filtered syrup for bottling?

Every time for me anyway, that it sits for a couple of hours and cools off some, it seems I can't get near the syrup through as if you did one big amount. I bought a 10" press for this year as to not have to change papers during a cooking session and needless to say I have been a bit disappointed with the performance. It has not been uncommon for me to reheat small batches on the stove right out of the drum as long as it was filtered good the first time. I then pour into a coffee maker with a orlon pre-filter just to make sure something stupid doesn't get into a container. I have a water jacketed 30 gallon tank and may try to just pump in there to reheat without filtering again. You do not want to reheat above 193 degress or you'll get more sand. If using a direct heat source, stove, propane, etc. you need to clean your pan every 3-4 heatings to prevent sand from showing up, (it will happen with direct heat and has even happened in my water jacketed tank if it gets away from me and goes above 193 for too long.)

Usually I try to have a big bottling day(s) and I will reheat filtered syrup with my finisher and then only have 1 plate in the press with the rest blocked off just to ensure clarity. Interested to hear how others do this.
    Last edited by markcasper; 04-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

We have a 7" Wesfab too and like Mark have had not had good success pushing syrup through a second time after it cools down. We are able to push hot water or sap through it to get the syrup out and back into the pan after it has cooled down, much thinner than syrup. The syrup won't freeze so OK to leave for a few days but we always break it down after we put the hot sap through. Break it down and new papers pretty much every batch. We try to do long bottling runs and usually get around 10 gallons through it but that depends on the niter in the syrup.

I consider us on the smaller side with a 7" Wes Fab short press. We have about 70 gallons worth of 5 gallon jugs. When those are nearly filled we set aside time to run the filter press. We look at each jug's sample jar and determine our plan. We have a 40 gallon and a 15 gallon drum right now. We also bottle about 20 gallons for the family and local sales. During our filter press runs we have 3 propane burners with 5 gallons stainless steel pots going. If we are filling the drums everything runs smooth. If we filter into the water jacketed bottler then everything slows down and we have to ease back on two of the pots so they don't get too hot. Generally the first batch through is heated to about 195-200 degrees. The next batches are heated to 190. The press cools a bit with bottling and it is noticeable. Without having the ability to heat a larger container we deal with paper changes after about 10-15 gallons depending on grade and time sitting idle.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

We've been filtering from the evaporator this season because we needed product on the shelves as soon as we made it. I make 10 to 16 gallons an hour, depending on how much I concentrate the sap. As I fill a couple pots, I take them in to my wife who runs them through the press and into the canner. Our Wesfab 7" will filter about 20 to 25 gallons this way before paper changes and cools for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes between batches.

I run larger batches thru my filter press. I pump the near (or sometimes past) syrup to my finisher, correct for density, get it to 205-210, draw it into a mixing tank, blend in the DE and then pump it thru the filter press. I usually do batches of 30-50 gal at a time. In the early season I sometimes get 40-50 gal on a set of papers on my 7" 5 bank press. I never get that much in mid season, then it is 25-30 gal tops and late season maybe only 15-25 gal. Each season is a little different, and this one just ended was one of the worst for sugar sand. About 30-45 minutes after using the press I like to clean it, change the papers and be ready for another batch when needed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Doing some back reading here on plate presses as I'll be in the market at the end of the season. I use a Siro now but capacity isn't enough. Just curious, Maple Flats, why you don't mix your DE in your finisher and run through the press from there. For my setup, I go from my divided draw off tank, pump to my finisher, adjust and mix DE there, then run through filter.

+ Reply to Thread