+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2x4 hobby evaporator

Default 2x4 hobby evaporator

I have a 2x4 WesFab hobby evaporator. The design I would best describe as having a deep throat. It is already 13+" deep at the mid point and is 6" deep at the very rear. I've been reading about how it is best if the volume is reduced behind the firebox. I've seen guys adding sand etc. As is it is working OK, but I wonder is it worth trying to fill in the throat area?
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

I was using a 2x4 supreme pan, drop flues. I added brick to the back of the box, I have about 3 inchs of space between brick and bottom of pan, it made a HUGE difference from when i had about 6 or 7 inchs.
    10 buckets,20 bags,steamer pan,cement block arch,4 tarp - sugar shack - Low budget 2010-2015
    35 bags, Leader Supreme 2x4, 1 stall garage shack - What budget? 2016-

i have a 2x6 drop flue, i have from the top of my firebox ramp all the way back to the stack double bricked so that the drop flue nearest to each outside has no more than a 1 inch gap on the side and under the bottom of the flues there is not more than a half inch when seated. it keeps all the fire/ heat pulling right thru the flues and not thru wide open spaces. i learned this from others here on mt, and for the material you use to fill it, ive seen sand, peastone, traprock, and even plain dirt used for a cheap solution, i just used more of the half and full firebricks because i had them, others use fire blanket and fire motar.
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread