+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is There Any End to Niter Formation

Default Is There Any End to Niter Formation

Yesterday I was finishing the syrup drained from the pan on a small high intensity propane burner, and I noticed that the boiling syrup in the stock pot looked like rusty water, very rusty water. There appeared to be an abundance of tiny dark particles suspended in the syrup which formed in the heat of the propane burner. This near up was quite clear when I started, but was only about at 50% density. The particulate formed while boiling in the pan had settled out or been filtered out already. So the question that came to mind is when does it end? Is there no end to niter formation when boiling syrup? Is there a point when there are no longer any substances left in the syrup to form niter? What does repeated boiling do to the flavor? This syrup is already very dark, so it really can't go any lower on the scale.

Once to the proper density, this syrup was run through a cone filter w/4 pre-filters, and looks perfectly fine, and tastes very good. I now have about 15 gals to bottle today, but none of it will be steam heated above 185, and all of it will run through the filter again. I have not been able to eliminate the cloudiness with these filters, so next year we go to a filter press.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Contact Chris at the Maple Guys, his Maple Jet Press is what I am getting. I borrowed one of his and it works great for the smaller operation like you and I have.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

+ Reply to Thread