+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it over?

Changed back from extra dark to dark today, gathered 375 today, my 3/16 on the north slope is running good as well as my vacuum stuff. I'm worried about this 70° stuff coming. Might be the end.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

We did our last boil yesterday. We have 21 gallons bottled, 4.5 gallons to finish and filter and whatever is in the evaporator, so we should be close to 30 after everything is said and done. So a normal year for us just a pain in the a%% getting there!
    2013 135 Taps 35 on Gravity, 100 on Buckets 11 Gallons Made
    2014 310 Taps 75 on Sureflo 4048, 235 on Buckets, 16'x16' Sugarshack, 5" Filter Press, 2x6 Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan (SOLD) 23 Gallons made
    2015 315 Taps, 17 on Sureflo 4008, 62 on Sureflo 4048, 236 on Buckets 31.25 Gallons Made
    2016 New Northwoods Stainless Finisher and Steamhood
    2017 325 Taps 34 Gallons Made
    2018 150 Taps New Northwoods Stainless 2x6 Raised Flue w/ Air Tight Arch 40+ Gallons Made

Yup, it's over. Below is a picture of a "normal" bud next to a bud from my yard tree. Granted, the yard tree had big buds all winter, but they are also clearly swelling now. The woods trees can't be far behind. I will boil off the sap I have today, assuming no off flavor, then call it quits.

IMG_0453.jpg
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Yeah it's getting close to over. really hot today. will get ropey at this temp.
    By the way have you heard about the poisonous spouts that got sold. The sugarmakers that bought them are really done, like forever done. In fact we should boycott CDL the purveyors of these poisonous spouts. The sugarmakers that bought them are all facing bankruptcy as they can't sell their syrup and have to replace all their tubing. Just think this could be you next time. CDL used regrind plastic to make them which is a huge no no for food grade plastic. Benzene, a highly cancerous chemical is leaching out of the plastic as a result. Once it impregnates the plastic it cannot be removed. Apparently CDL helped replace the spouts but never offered to reimburse the sugarmakers for their costs associated with replacing all their spouts. To date they have not reimbursed any one or fessed up to their wrong doing. The state of VT has threatened to close them down but do you really think they have the teeth to make CDL fess up. I think we as sugarmakers should boycott cdl until they own up to their wrongdoing. You or I could be next. We need to show these companies that we demand safe products and that there will be a price to pay if they keep dumping toxic stuff on us. So we as as sugarmakers should do the following until CDL reimburses our fellow sugarmakers completely and take responsiblity for their actions: 1.) DON'T BUY ANY MORE PRODUCTS FROM CDL. 2.)CANCEL ANY ORDERS YOU HAVE WITH CDL. 3.) DON'T PAY CDL IF YOU OWE CDL MONEY. 4.) CDL NEEDS TO MAKE A PUBLIC APOLOGY FOR THEIR CROOKED ACTIONS.
    If we band together we can make sure that this doesn't happen again.
    IT COULD BE YOU NEXT TIME

Quote Originally Posted by extracto View Post
    Yeah it's getting close to over. really hot today. will get ropey at this temp.
    By the way have you heard about the poisonous spouts that got sold. The sugarmakers that bought them are really done, like forever done. In fact we should boycott CDL the purveyors of these poisonous spouts. The sugarmakers that bought them are all facing bankruptcy as they can't sell their syrup and have to replace all their tubing. Just think this could be you next time. CDL used regrind plastic to make them which is a huge no no for food grade plastic. Benzene, a highly cancerous chemical is leaching out of the plastic as a result. Once it impregnates the plastic it cannot be removed. Apparently CDL helped replace the spouts but never offered to reimburse the sugarmakers for their costs associated with replacing all their spouts. To date they have not reimbursed any one or fessed up to their wrong doing. The state of VT has threatened to close them down but do you really think they have the teeth to make CDL fess up. I think we as sugarmakers should boycott cdl until they own up to their wrongdoing. You or I could be next. We need to show these companies that we demand safe products and that there will be a price to pay if they keep dumping toxic stuff on us. So we as as sugarmakers should do the following until CDL reimburses our fellow sugarmakers completely and take responsiblity for their actions: 1.) DON'T BUY ANY MORE PRODUCTS FROM CDL. 2.)CANCEL ANY ORDERS YOU HAVE WITH CDL. 3.) DON'T PAY CDL IF YOU OWE CDL MONEY. 4.) CDL NEEDS TO MAKE A PUBLIC APOLOGY FOR THEIR CROOKED ACTIONS.
    If we band together we can make sure that this doesn't happen again.
    IT COULD BE YOU NEXT TIME
    Where did you get this information? and you should post this in a new thread.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Good source. Know a couple of the guys it happened too. Horrible. Should never happen again. We all need to ensure it doesn't.

A sad 10 gallons in our tank after we collected last night. Probably over here too. Worst part is early next week looks great if you believe a 7 day forecast but I'm afraid the trees won't make it. Hoping they don't bud a little further north.

We are done, pulled out and washed as of Sunday night. Currently sitting at 54 gallons all bottled. We have about 25 gallons of concentrate from the evaporator to finish boil which should put us just south of 60 gallons. Record year for us, looking for more next year. Glad we tapped early and didn't miss the mass of the sap runs!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

I think I hear the fat lady singing.

It's really just getting going in northern Maine. The weather looks good until the end of April as long as the trees don't bud.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast