+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off flavor

Default Off flavor

The last batch of syrup I made this season is off flavored. It has an almost bitter flavor. I had about 50 gallons of sap that had been frozen solid for about two weeks. I still had about 100 pounds of ice in the barrels when I got around to boiling it. The sap was cloudy but not discolored. The steam from my pans didn't have that familiar sweet smell, but it didn't smell bad either. Finishing in the kitchen, I could tell that it wasn't the same as the other batches I've made. I've read on here about "boiling dirty gym socks" but that wasn't what I was reminded of with this.
    So, does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to do with five pints of off flavored late season syrup? (Other than dump it, which may be my best option.)
    2016-First year
    17 Taps
    Block arch & steam pans
    About 1 1/2 gallons
    2017-20 taps
    About 3 gallons
    2018-13 taps
    Same Block arch & steam pans (modified arch & pans)
    2019-12 taps (keep losing trees)
    2020-Brand new Smokey Lake StarCat evaporator, about 15 taps.
    43.62N 87.78W

Quote Originally Posted by bprifle01 View Post
    The last batch of syrup I made this season is off flavored. It has an almost bitter flavor. I had about 50 gallons of sap that had been frozen solid for about two weeks. I still had about 100 pounds of ice in the barrels when I got around to boiling it. The sap was cloudy but not discolored. The steam from my pans didn't have that familiar sweet smell, but it didn't smell bad either. Finishing in the kitchen, I could tell that it wasn't the same as the other batches I've made. I've read on here about "boiling dirty gym socks" but that wasn't what I was reminded of with this.
    So, does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to do with five pints of off flavored late season syrup? (Other than dump it, which may be my best option.)
    When we make off flavored syrup we usually use it for baking or cooking with. But obviously it depends on how off it tastes. Usually we make very dark syrup with a bitter or even metallic flavor if we make anything that's off. It works just fine for baked beans. I've heard barbecue sauce also. We've made a couple batches that were bad enough not that we didn't want to eat it, and we used it for fertilizer in the garden. To be honest we have a couple customers that love the "baking syrup" as we call it, and will happily buy it for a reduced rate.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Could be spoiled sap or could be buddy sap. As late as it is I would guess buddy flavor. does the flavor get you on the back of your tongue? Set it aside and mark it clearly. It could also be some metabolic flavors. These are kind of a woody flavor and may have a hint of same off smell.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

One things for sure you'll never forget smell of boiling spoiled sap. I boiled my first last year. If it smells like written socks or puke it's bad sap or concentrate.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Also buddy syrup usually coats your tongue weirdly, and spoiled sap really bites ya but doesn't really coat your tongue and leave a weird residue like.....Hard to explain
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

I am not certain whether or not ours was just off syrup or buddy. 2gals was our last batch over a week ago. It sat out as concentrated 70gal of SAP down to 3.5 for a few days where it was 40-60 degrees. The taste is sweet then sharp then, bitter afterwords with a smokey flavor. I guess I will have to test to see if we can bake with it, my wife says she does not like it.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Maple beer, whiskey?? I would like to try making a maple beverage from fermentation......
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

We experienced this in CT this year, myself and a few other producers were scratching our heads trying to figure out what the problem was. We concluded and DrTim also thinks that it's basically 'pre-buddy' sap. you can't detect it in the sap raw, but as you cook it, it becomes evident that something is just a little off. All i know is i have 10 gallons of finished syrup with off flavor that represents more than half my yield for the year.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I have a half gallon from 2 years ago I am finally finishing off that I use in my coffee. The coffee seems to cover the bitter portion for me.

That happenend to me last year as well. My last batch tasted great at the half way point, but the "off flavour" became more noticeable when finishing. We mostly use it for baking. Has a burnt taffy kind of flavour.

2016 - 90 taps and a brick lined oil tank arch (60L of syrup)
    2017 - 100 taps (60L)
    2018 - 60 taps (12L of syrup)
    2019 - 75 taps (22L of syrup)
    2020 - 75 taps (25L of syrup)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast