+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bout time

New to this maple hobby, but clearly addicted. I have learned a lot from this forum and friends who have done this for a long time. I put about 50+ taps in during that warm stretch in February. Buckets, pails, water jugs, and just about anything I could find to collect sap. Taps ran ok, although I don't know what a good run is per tap per day. Slowed in March and had hopes of a good run about a week ago. Not so much. All intentions of pulling taps today after work and calling it a season, most pails and buckets have sap. Cold snowy/rainy day and there is sap. Beautiful day yesterday, hardly any. Confused beyond words, so Im guessing leave them in and sees what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Page Meadow Maple View Post
    Curious how many gallons you picked up. I am a bit north and east of Bangor. Picked up 36 gallons off 80 taps. 3 Brix. Wondering when people think the season will be over up here.
    Only 40 gallons off 210 taps at just over 1% sugar content. 90% of my taps are red maples, so I expect them to not be as productive as sugars, but usually not this slow. What few sugars I have to tap have been doing decent. Still have quite a few that have not thawed out yet. Still lots of snow in woods. 36 gallons off 80 taps at 3% sounds good to me!
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

Quote Originally Posted by Jal-Bear View Post
    Only 40 gallons off 210 taps at just over 1% sugar content. 90% of my taps are red maples, so I expect them to not be as productive as sugars, but usually not this slow. What few sugars I have to tap have been doing decent. Still have quite a few that have not thawed out yet. Still lots of snow in woods. 36 gallons off 80 taps at 3% sounds good to me!
    I think it will come. I have 225 taps on 5/16 gravity and have gotten 200 gallons since the first of March. Last year I would have had 1000 gallons. Yes, it will be warm for a few days, but my bush does not face south so I think after that I will have more than I can handle coming in. Trees haven't shown any signs of opening their bud around me.

My trees, norways 1.2%, reds 1.5, sugars 2%. Once sap is all mixed together in the head tank I get a reading of 1.8%. 70 norway taps, 80 reds and 280 sugar taps. 127 gallons of syrup so far this year. Couple more runs to go maybe?
    Last edited by Dale Sparrow; 04-05-2017 at 05:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12