+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine Law info

Default Maine Law info

Im looking into peddling maple goods at some festivles and such. Im wondering what the laws and licenses are from others that do the same. Cotton candy would be the primary item. I think this falls under mobile vendor but not sure. Any info would be great thanks
    2008---35 buckets--3 gal syrup
    2015---150 on 3/16 gravity&50 Buckets
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16
    2018---700+ on 3/16 added 500gal milk tank

For maple syrup you'll need your Maple license and Mobile Vendor (all on the same form.) When you get into confections you run into the issue of needing a home kitchen license.

Now a lot of people will tell you that you can make sugar without the home kitchen license. And maple cream without the home kitchen licence. If it is made from only maple syrup there seems to be some leeway, but that seems to depend on the interpretation of your inspector. And how much you buy into "better to ask forgiveness than permission." If you're adding any other ingredients, you will definitely need the home kitchen license. If you want to be 100% on the level, you should ask your Dept. of Quality Assurance and Regulations Inspector.

I've been selling granulated maple sugar at farmers' markets and the inspectors have never told me it's a problem. But I've been figuring that I should get a home kitchen license before I start selling candies and cream. That's just where I draw the line of not wanting to rock the boat too hard and get shut down.

You probably already have your maple license, but it's found here: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/qar/permit...on_forms.shtml

If you message me, I will give you the contact info for the inspector who comes to Bethel Farmers' Market. She should at least be able to tell you who to talk to in your area.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

And to add to that... pretty much anything flies at craft fairs. Lots of unlicensed food product being sold there. So, know your venue and decide how loose you're willing to play with the rules. But don't tell my inspector I said that.

Abbott is correct and I wouldn't get too hung up on the kitchen licensing. Although now I have a question ....you say home kitchen which is different than commercial kitchen I assume? I've never heard of home kitchen. Vendor license is just another check box on the maple license. Think it's $75 for maple and vendor license.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 04-03-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Abbott is correct and I wouldn't get too hung up on the kitchen licensing. Although now I have a question ....you say home kitchen which is different than commercial kitchen I assume? I've never heard of home kitchen. Vendor license is just another check box on the maple license. Think it's $75 for maple and vendor license.
    Home kitchen is for baking, jams & jellies, some other basic canning, etc. I think technically it's a "Bakery" but a lot of people refer to it as home kitchen license because you can have it be your home kitchen and it has relatively minimal standards to be approved. For a commercial kitchen it has to be a separate space and has stricter requirements (separate hand washing sink, higher standards for cleanability.) It would allow you to work with meat and other things that are more likely to get someone sick if handled improperly. I'm definitely no expert here, so if someone else knows more, go ahead and chime in!

I am pretty sure you can apply for any/all of the above on the same form - it's at the link in my post above. It's the "Food and Fuel License Application." Maple is $20 and Mobile Vendor is $25.
    Last edited by abbott; 04-03-2017 at 07:12 PM.

We run a licensed home kitchen, it covers anything that is shelf stable (non refridgerated). Simple process, opens the door to lots of possibilities. Call and ask some questions. They're good to work with and will answer any questions.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Thank you for the info. How do you like your saddles greene?
    2008---35 buckets--3 gal syrup
    2015---150 on 3/16 gravity&50 Buckets
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16
    2018---700+ on 3/16 added 500gal milk tank

I didn't use them yet. I'm going to upgrade 1000' +- of 3/4", will use them then. Opted to live with the old and replace with all new.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Quote Originally Posted by abbott View Post

You probably already have your maple license, but it's found here: http://www.maine.gov/dacf/qar/permit...on_forms.shtml

Anyone have a link to Maine license form that is still good? Thinking of selling small scale next year (15 gallons or less). Is a sugar shack required to sell? Thought I saw/read that before. Currently boil outside and finish in my kitchen.

They will come do an inspection if you apply for a license. It’s not hard to pass but you will need to show how you clean, that’s the biggie. If you finish in you kitchen they may want to look at that. We went through the inspection over 10 years ago so maybe someone has more recent experience they could share. You also need to decide when applying if you want to just sell from your house or if you want to retail at other places, 2 different fees but the same license.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast