+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bhr float rod leak

Default Bhr float rod leak

I have a bhr single vertical releaser. On slow flow days releaser starts to raise float to dump and causes a air leak which leads to icing on float rod.Also when this situation happens flapper to releaser manifold will close. If woods is tight releaser will sit like this for sometime before woods level drops enough to dump some sap and finish dump cycle. I have already adjusted white plastic up on lid of releaser to get a good seal on oring. This releaser was at 24" of vacuum all season so low vacuum wasn't a issue. I think only option maybe to make a new piece that the rod slides through with less clearance so the rod leaks less. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

I was having the same issue on both of my double vertical BHR releasers this year. What I figured out is the O-ring between the plastic washer and top of the lid would not slide on the shaft as it went up causing a leak. I put a metal flat washer on top of the plastic washer for weight and stretched out the O-ring just a bit so that between the weight of the washer and vacuum pulling it down the O-ring would slide on the shaft as the float and shaft went up keeping everything sealed tight until it dumps.
    2800 taps on vac.
    3x12 leader w/steamaway
    600gph springtech ro

mine leaks a bit also, I keep food grade grease on the rod and it seems to be enough let the rod drop back down.
    Ian McDonald
    2000 on vacuum
    1000gph cdl ro
    2.5'x12' intensofire

Try mineral oil rather than food grade grease, slides better.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So oil generally works better than grease for this problem (o-ring getting carried up with the rod instead of staying sucked down against the pass-through)?
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

i had that exact problem this year with the same releaser. there is a small o ring (called a U cup) that sets into a plastic piece of your releaser where the float rod slides through. it sits inside a little depression in the plastic between the glass and rod top. see my picture, it'll show it better than i can describe it. i swapped out that and lubed it up 20200227_173323.jpgand it fixed all my leaking issues.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread