+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's still going in New York?

Default Who's still going in New York?

I'm still going but others have called it quits around here. Who else is still going out there?
    While my sugar is low (1.4-1.6%) I keep getting sap and the buds were still tight at my bigger bush. Around the sugar house they are tight too but the trees there have all but called it quits. There, after pulling my soft maples off over 4 weeks ago I still have 130 sugars on, but when I run the pump (at 26-27") it takes up to 2 hrs for the releaser to dump and that one dumps at slightly over 3 gal. I don't see that as enough to justify the electric used to get it.
    In my main bush, I still got 400 gal yesterday off 568 taps @ 1.4%. Will head back this morning to collect again and see what's there. That bush has vac from 18" up to 28-29". It is all on a vacuum tank at 18" but then slightly over half of the taps are on 3/16 with good slope, most of those get 28-29".
    I'm going to change a few more to 3/16 for next year, I still have a few laterals with good slope that would benefit from the natural vacuum.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-01-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hi Dave
    We're still going!32 degrees and running like crazy about a gallon per tap per day
    ,really clear sap for 3 days now.sugar is only .9.I'm really glad we converted the RO to electric!!Thanks!

I'm still going. Boiled and finished around 40 gallons yesterday. Sugar content measured 2.5 without removing any ice, with is up from my previous collection which averaged 1.5. haven't filtered or bottled yet but looks like around a gallon and a quart in the pot. Trees dripping but slowed due to weather the last couple days..no below freezing temps. Hoping to do one more boil if we can just get the right weather.

My taps are still in, so I can continue if there is anything to boil. My sap output has dropped to near zero. The buds look tight and yesterday's sap (a few day's worth) was OK, but a little cloudy. I test boiled a pint first on the stove and got a good tasting lighter amber syrup.

When I fished the boil at 9pm, I noticed a fire brick from the rear wall of the fire box was laying on the grates, so I may have some equipment issues which would prevent me from continuing.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Sap is pouring in here in the Catskills. At least from 1,500 ft up. I think I have another week.

Still going here in central ny. Our sap looks like 2% milk but the grade just went to very dark today. Sap still at 1.2. Terrible sugar content year. An odd note though. We are getting a 1/2 gallon per tap per day or a little better on 10 week old holes. Neighbor is getting the same on 3 to 4 week old holes. Good flavor, just dark.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Finally saw the base of my trees on Tues. The 110 tap bush that has under performed all year gave me 185 gallons on Wed and 65 on wed night. They trickled in all yesturday but not enough to boil. Last night we froze light and i wasnt sure if they would run today. My son just called me at work and said we are over a gallon a tap at the sugar house for the day and the 200 gallon tank at the 110 bush is 3/4 full. I dont know about the 130 taps at my parents but could be a 300+ gallon night for me. Im at 24 gallons this year and had a 30 gallon goal. It looks like i will be above my goal. I will have to determine if the pull some taps at my parents that have not run good the last week or so that are on a shurflo. The 44 on 3/16 seem to just run all the time. My sugar has been 1.2 to 1.4 so its spending a little more time in the RO As i cant get 1.2 to 8 percent in a single pass.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

I hauled in 240 gal today from 568 taps, 1.2%. Sap was cloudy, made Dark, but getting close to very dark. I sell lots of Dark but very little very dark.
    The remaining 130 taps on sugar maples around the sugarhouse have just about quit. Ran pump at 27" and it took over 2 hours to dump the firsat time (dumps at slightly over 3 gal). Not worth the power to run the pump, I shut that one off.
    1.2% sugar, that's the lowest I've ever had, prior to this season my lowest ever was 1.7%.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

finally called it a season on thursday,had the sap in my buckets smell like vinegar.the last bush i had was down to little under a gallon a day.i have had a sucsessful season,made enough for me,and gifts.ready to go on to build my new syrup house.

Going strong in Otsego County. gallon of sap per tap every day. Today marks 7 boil days in a row. We began tapping on December 28th. .41 gallons of syrup per tap so far. We went in to dark last night. not sure what todays syrup will bring. Todays sap went a little cloudy. 10 day forecast looks good.
    Brian Ryther
    Mill Hollow Maple
    10,000 taps
    3 Liquid Ring Vac Pumps
    5x14 Leader Vortex Evap
    Lapierre 2000 RO
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x3/brianryther/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast