+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of season pan cleaning

Default End of season pan cleaning

First year with nice shiny new pan. I've cleaned it twice during the season with vinegar and had good results. Each time I only filled the pan a couple inches deep which didn't reach the build up on the sides. Do most people just scrub the sides or do they fill pans all the way up with the vinegar solution to clean up the sides. Also what do you use to scrub the inside of the flues. Thanks.

Last year I filled it with 10 gallons of vinegar and tilted it to one side, then the other for a couple days each side. Cleaned up as good as new. This year I am trying citric acid mixed with permeate. Works great so far and no where near the odor of vinegar. I used a food grade citric acid by the way. I have found that bringing the solution to a boil really helps. You can use distilled water if you don't have permeate available.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Last year I filled my pan with maybe 3 inches of late season sap and let that age in there for awhile. The smell is awful, but it cleans up the pans with no effort at all. I will do it again this year if I have enough sap at the end. It's a good option if you can leave the pan to soak undisturbed for a month or more.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Basic simplified approaches....more details available in the archives (do a search) or in the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual.
    1. Sour sap method....fill evaporator deep with sour/buddy sap at the end of the season (stuff you don't want to boil) and let it set for a long time (month or more). It'll turn sour, then jelly-like, then turn to vinegar. Very slow and stinks, but works fine.
    2. Vinegar method....fill deep with water, add vinegar, let sit for several days to a week or so. Faster than #1, but still smells some. Costs more.
    3. Pan acid. Fill with water, add pan acid (typically phosphoric acid). Warm up a little and sit for a day or two. Faster, costs some, hazardous material -- need to neutralize with baking soda when done. Don't use this method (or use with care) on soldered pans.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the info guys, i think I'll use vinegar again since I already have a few gallons laying around. Last thing left to clean is the pan, and then start drawing up plans for the new shack. Hope everybody had/has a good season.

The first 3 years we rinsed out both pans then filled them with water and milkhouse acid. Got a small fire going and let it sit overnight. Next day drained and flushed both pans. In the fall we lightly power washed the tops and bottoms of both pans. Last year we diconnected the flue pan from the syrup pan, which we aways do to finish the last of the syrup. We then flooded the flue pan with water while we finished off the last of the syrup. After draining the syrup, we flooded the syrup pan with water and let it sit for a month. It turned to vinigar and stunk. Flushed the pan with water. During the fall power washing we discovered that the syrup pan was riddled with 2 dozen pin holes and most of the welded seems were weeping. Had to have them Tig welded. NOT going to do that again. Did our normal cleaning this year. Still it's pretty bad that 4 year old Leader welded pans would get pin holes and the seams would leak.
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

dcast, do you think that was from leaving the vinegar to long?

I flooded both pans well over the scale line with the last of the sap I hauled in. I'll play with the pressure washer in July or August when it will feel good
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

How do I clean the outside of my pan it was a homemade cinderblock evaporator and flames hit the side and it is charged black

Sam
    Shelton,Connecticut

Oven cleaner is about all that will work well. Just try to keep it on the outside.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast