+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Least amount of taps needed to justify RO?

Default Least amount of taps needed to justify RO?

I only have 70 taps now but retirement is 2 years away and I'm looking to add more. I literally have 1000s of Sugar and Red maples on my property that are 12"- 20" caliper. Now, I'm not planning on tapping that many but I really don't want to cook 18 hours a day either.
    Who has the least amount of taps out there and runs a RO?
    On another subject, I also have about a 60 foot drop in elevation over 300 feet as I have a ridge running through the center of my property for 5oo yards.
    This should be interesting.
    Kind of what property looks like.
    008 (3).jpg
    360.jpgIMG_1419.jpg
    Looking over the top of my Grandson is the flattest area on the property.

Just get a bigger evaporator. I went from a flat pan to a 2x4 raised flu made by Bill Mason average boil rate was 22 GPH. RAN 150 taps with no problem. Not sure of your big plan in the maple business I'm a hobby guy. And didn't want to boil all day and night to keep up.

RO's can range from under the sink RO style purposed for Maple sap to hobby models (many make their own, like me) to larger commercial style. With this range of options you can easily fit one to your bush and budget. I'm also located in central Wisconsin and have built my own hobby type (250 gph). Would​ be glad to help you out with information on the possibilities. Feel free to PM me. Also, slightly jealous of the potential your woods has with slope and trees! Everything is flat by us!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mkoehler79 View Post
    RO's can range from under the sink RO style purposed for Maple sap to hobby models (many make their own, like me) to larger commercial style. With this range of options you can easily fit one to your bush and budget. I'm also located in central Wisconsin and have built my own hobby type (250 gph). Would​ be glad to help you out with information on the possibilities. Feel free to PM me. Also, slightly jealous of the potential your woods has with slope and trees! Everything is flat by us!
    Matt
    Thanks Matt. The way it looks when I drive thru Wausau, I'm surprised that you have flatland.

Sounds like you have the potential for many more taps = larger evaporator and or R.O.
    you have some good slope so 3/16 tubing will bring in more sap from same taps = bigger evaporator and or R.O.
    You preparing for retirement which means you will have even less time to make syrup = bigger evaporator and or R.O. Balance the new system and sugarbush size to have about a 4 hour boil or less per run. You will like that a lot!
    Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

There's guys out there with small numbers of taps boiling on turkey fryers that are buildings small RO's. There is basically no lower limit to the number of taps you need to get an RO.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    There's guys out there with small numbers of taps boiling on turkey fryers that are buildings small RO's. There is basically no lower limit to the number of taps you need to get an RO.
    Agreed. I have just over 200 taps on buckets, gravity lines, and some vac. This is my first year with the RO and it's completely worth it. It really depends on your schedule and what you have going on.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I have 100 taps on vac and I might of gone a bit crazy with building a 100gph RO but man has it changed my life. What used to take me hours and hours to boil off only takes a couple hours now and I'm able to get to bed at a decent time. Syrup is a lot lighter also. I used to only boil on weekends and I would have to store sap all week. So I'd usually end up with a little darker syrup. Now I just come home turn RO on and I'm boiling in half an hour. And drawing off a lot more syrup.
    I figured I would go a little bigger with my RO then what I needed for 100 taps to leave room for expansion. I will probley max out at 400-500 taps eventually. Only problem I have now with only 100 taps is I need to make permeate with another membrane to have enough for rinsing and washing. I run the permeate I make from sap through RO and end of day and I have a 275 gallon tote I keep full at all times for washing and end of season rinse. One drawback of only having 100 taps. But I manage.
    I would never go back to boiling straight sap now. Love the RO. I have two small children and a full time job so I have limited time to boil and even my weekends are limited. RO changed that. I can get up early and have my 3-4 hour boil done by the time kids get out of bed.
    So my suggestion would be to get an RO.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

With the slope that you have I'd highly recommend 3/16 unless there is a middle generation with strong backs and work ethic. Not happening here, it's me and eldest Grandson right now and at 7 he's off on nature walks.

I have 80 this year and run an RO. I guess I would say it depends on how much syrup you want to make in a season and how much time you want to boil? I collect all week and boil weekends and would never be without an RO. With 80 on 3/16 this week I was just shy of a gallon per tap per day. I have a local guy that buys sap if I don't want to cook so I plan to add a couple more strings of 3/16 for next season. I had plans to cook this weekend and may still do so, but a miscue had my buyer empty both tanks so I'm not sure if I'll get enough to justify running until Sunday if that. I prefer to have 200+ gallons before starting. Condense that to around 40 gallons with the RO and boil for a couple hrs and done...
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Thanks for all the replies guys, I don't really ever going into it for the money because I probably could make more on a part time job at Mc Donalds. I probably will max out at 100+ taps which will keep family and friends supplied. I use a little for bartering as you can get more for syrup than cash.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast