+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiling 2017

Default Boiling 2017

I was surprised by yesterday's run. There wasn't a hard freeze, but it ran anyway. It was not that warm either. We boiled off around 90 gallons so we are going to make some syrup now!

Which is good, because it hasn't been a banner year so far. We had a nice run over the weekend, which was perfect for slow boiling with all the people around.

It looks like this week is good, even thought it didn't freeze last night, so today might not be that great. We need to make some syrup!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Mitchman here!! My brother sold his house but kept the saw mill, so with moving and the passing of our mother this Jan. we are taking the year off. I will keep in touch with you all, and hope you have a great year!!!!!!

I think it's shaping up to be a very solid season in the end. I'm about 65% production now, so unless next week is a complete flop and summer comes the following week, I should make enough syrup. Last year ended up being about 125% expected production.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

I agree, we are 100% on track for a standard or slightly better than standard season. We are about 5 gallons shy of last years production. 90% of our sap has come from the L/A area. Hopefully the Sumner trees let go this week. I will say that the 50 taps on 3/16 are completely killing the 75 on 5/16. Last week, 5/16 barely produced 5 gallons while the 3/16 produced just shy of 50. Pretty impressive for a trial run!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

I was so surprised by the nice run from the field trees yesterday. They fooled me again with no sun and a stiff breeze. It keeps you on your toes. I think we will boil today just to keep ahead of the huge runs coming!
    200+- taps buckets & tubing
    waterloo/small 2x6
    raised flue
    Ferguson TO30
    24x24 saphouse
    5" filter press by D.L.Sheets Maple
    1996 SkiDoo Skandic

Our gravity trees here in Peru still haven't shook loose. 25 degrees overnight. Hoping the sun today will get them going. We are only at 10-15% normal amount. I've been saying "next week looks good" for 2 weeks now.

Not much yesterday, but maybe today. We hope to have some for the weekend, so we'll boil a bit and pour off and save most of it for when we have time.

Did it freeze last night? Hard to tell what it did up on the hill...
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Froze around here last night. Mostly cloudy right now with a stiff breeze. Would be nice if the sun could stay out. Still have quite a few trees that have not given up a drop yet. Had one real good run at the end of Feb. Since then mostly 30-40 gallons every now and then. Hopefully it breaks loose soon!
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

It's been a disappointing season for us so far. New evaporator, expanded Sugar Shack, new mainline, and big jump in 3/16ths only to be at about 50% of where we were last year at this time when we were winding down. I have many trees in the woods that haven't run a drop yet. We've had a couple of good runs that give me a lot of hope for the 3/16ths, but seems like it really hasn't started yet. There's still 2+ feet of snow in the woods, which seems to be keeping things from thawing. It finally seemed to get started yesterday, and the weather forecast has me hopeful for the upcoming week, but it seems I've said that a couple of times already this season. Crossing my fingers!
    2020 - 320 Taps
    2x5 Raised Flue Lapierre Waterloo Small Evaporator
    WF Mason Finisher/Canner

Just checked the totes, running good on our sunny slope. Steady stream into the totes. Might just be opening up some!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast