+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unbelievable sap run.

Default Unbelievable sap run.

As has been typical of this season, I ran the Vac. pumps all day yesterday and didn't collect a drop of sap at 37 deg. Last evening the temp. dropped to around 33 so we shut off the pumps for the night. I went down to turn them on this morning( still 32 deg.) and the sap has been gushing all night. I've collected about 1400 gallons on 5000ish taps overnight with no vac. I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing. Bittersweet. This has been a weird and frustrating year for sap collection.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by madmapler View Post
    I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing.
    Yup.....if your pump can handle it....leave it on unless you're darn sure it is frozen up EVERYWHERE. We've got a fair amount of variation in aspect and elevation, so we see a lot of areas where the sap will run, and not a drop from others. Or sap will run from up on the hill all night, but stop in the cold hollows. With the Smartrek sensors out everywhere in our woods, it has been very enlightening how variable the temperature is out there. Our pumps RARELY go off during the season once they are turned on. Even then, we would typically leave one pump on and turn the other (on the same pipeline) off just for maintenance.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr Tim, what is the reason you would not want to shut a pump off in most cases? I have battery operated pumps and they get turned off at night when temps go below freezing to conserve battery power. I do notice that when the pump turns off, there is a strong reverse flow of sap up the line as pressures equalize. This probably carries bacteria up the lines to the tapholes, which is a bad thing. Maybe why one line has nearly stopped. If this theory is correct, would checkvalve spouts would help here, if pumps must be turned off? I don't use them now. Using all short 3/16" lines, 20-40 taps per line, no mainline, diaphragm pump at bottom of lines. Thanks for any insight.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Unless it is frozen up everywhere in the bush, when you shut off the pump you will get backflow. Yes, CV spouts will help in that case.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks, I am going to try the checkvalve spouts next year. I will be replacing my drops on this 3/16" line next year. Has anybody tried using spouts for 5/16" line, running the 5/16" drop into a 3/16" line using the CDL tees with two 3/16" barbs and a 5/16" barb? Checkvalve spouts only come in 5/16" I believe.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I did run several lines this season with that setup as I ran out of 3/16 spouts and didn't want to miss a run. They worked fine and let me use up some supply's. I will be changing everything possible over to 3/16 next year and will do some drops the same way as I'm not just throwing away new 5/16 tubing. My 3/16 ran a week longer and gave at least a 1/3 better performance than the just 5/16 lines. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    Thanks, I am going to try the checkvalve spouts next year. I will be replacing my drops on this 3/16" line next year. Has anybody tried using spouts for 5/16" line, running the 5/16" drop into a 3/16" line using the CDL tees with two 3/16" barbs and a 5/16" barb? Checkvalve spouts only come in 5/16" I believe.

Dave
    IIRC, that's what Cody is doing. He's running about 2000 on 3/16 with 5/16 drops. You are correct that CV spouts only come in 5/16 (for now anyway. I'm hoping for a 3/16 CV spout next year). The other way to get a CV onto a 3/16 drop is with a 3/16 stubby into a CV adapter. That's what I'm planning for next year.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by madmapler View Post
    As has been typical of this season, I ran the Vac. pumps all day yesterday and didn't collect a drop of sap at 37 deg. Last evening the temp. dropped to around 33 so we shut off the pumps for the night. I went down to turn them on this morning( still 32 deg.) and the sap has been gushing all night. I've collected about 1400 gallons on 5000ish taps overnight with no vac. I'll never shut off a pump again unless it goes below freezing. Bittersweet. This has been a weird and frustrating year for sap collection.
    Same thing here last night. When I left the woods last night the temp said 36. Checked the recording thermometer this morning and is said 30 for a low. I checked the tanks later and one was running over and the other almost!!
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I've had some icing in my releaser which has caused problems with vacuum transfer. This is the only reason I shut the vacuum off at night. I shut it down last night about 0000 hours when I noticed some ice forming in the releaser. It was running slow, but better than if the vacuum was off. I did not want to deal with the ice build up and sap trying to travel up the vacuum line. I had one app on my iphone I used to use to gauge the temps and I synced with it pretty good. That app is no longer in service and I am still learning the new app. I now shut the vacuum off once it drops below 31 degrees on the app.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread