+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filtering vs. Settling syrup

Default Filtering vs. Settling syrup

Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone has tried to clear up syrup by letting it settle over time. I've been fighting off-flavor for years from filters, and still haven't figured out exactly what I'm doing wrong. I haven't tried EVERYTHING yet, but darn near!! I give most of my syrup away, and everyone seems to love it, but I can taste a big difference in syrup taste pre and post filtering.

I make wine, and it got me to thinking about doing the same "racking" with the syrup.

Thanks!

Beth
    Beth in Bradford, PA
    2x6 Lightning, new Smoky Lake syrup pan for 2017
    270 taps on tubing, 20+ on buckets
    2018 - son made me an automatic drawoff, yet to be tested
    2018 - hubby made me a 2-handed tubing tool, works great!!!!

It can take a long time for syrup to clarify by settling. Weeks or even months might be required. And then you have the problem of decanting. If you could drain the settled stuff out through the bottom, that would be great. That would require a vessel with a conical bottom with a drain valve and you would need to be able to see through the cone. Otherwise, when you try to pour the clear stuff off, niter seems to find a way to mix in with it unless you can keep it very still as you pour.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

One time last season our filter press went down. While we waited for a part to come in we had to keep boiling and we filled every stainless milker I had. Over the course of two days there was a huge difference in the longer sitting syrup than when we press as soon as we draw off.

So it will work to a point.
    BUT
    There is always a but...the cost of propane to heat the syrup up from 30 degrees to 190 to filter it and then to the canner to keg for cold storage was a hard pill to swallow.

There is a deference in taste and it is the large sugar crystal that is removed by the DE and the filter paper I find.

My oldest loves the taste of fresh or unfiltered syrup over filtered. He will save the syrup that drains from the press when we change papers and wash it. And every year I send him half gallons at college that are not pressed.

This summer he and I will be tig welding a stainless filter press and dual batch tank on wheels. This way we can press it hot and have a suspended tank that will either roll over the burner we use currently or have it on the system so we can fill kegs immediately and use as little propane as we can in 2018. He will be finally done with 9 semesters 12-2018.

Thanks for the replies! It definitely wouldn't work large scale, and I wonder too if settling would ever get the syrup as clear as filtering.

I'm going to try a batch next year, though, for the fun of it...they make wine fermenters and carboys that have a spigot placed off the bottom a bit so that you don't disturb the pool of spooge. I've been eye-balling them for a few years now anyhow.

So there actually IS a real difference in taste between filtered and unfiltered syrup? I don't think I ever heard of that. Maybe that's what I'm tasting, and not the filters??

Thanks!
    Beth in Bradford, PA

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by PA mapler View Post
    Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone has tried to clear up syrup by letting it settle over time...
    Hi Beth,

We used primarily that method for years.

The Maple Syrup Producer's Manual says this:

"Settling/Sedimentation

This process is the simplest method for removing suspended solids from syrup. It involves simply placing finished syrup of the correct density in a large container, waiting for the suspended particles to settle out of the syrup, and then decanting the clarified syrup without disturbing the sediment. Though relatively simple in concept, this has process has several disadvantages and is not commonly used. One disadvantage is that the sedimentation process requires considerable time, a few days to a week or more. Further, even after settling, some fine particles may remain which can detract from the syrups perceived quality. Also, considerable care must is required to not disturb the sediment when decanting the clarified syrup."

Nowadays for the pros it's not worth considering, but I think it can make sense for hobbyists. First, as a small timer using Orlon filters I can tell you I've had niter sneak through many times. Second, sedimentation prevents loss of syrup in filters. Third, it does away with the hassle of properly washing filters. Fourth, it should cure your off-flavor problems.

Something along this line is what we would do: settle the syrup for two weeks in a food grade plastic bucket, then hold a sample up to good light. If it looks clear, gently pick up the bucket and slowly and carefully pour into a second bucket until just before the stream of niter starts running out. The clear syrup is good to go. What's left goes in a half gallon jar or two. The process is repeated.

Give it a try!

I do a little mixture of both. We take our batches off the evaporator into 5 gallon containers that sit for the entire season and then a couple of weeks after that until we are ready to pack syrup in different sized containers for sale. Depending on circumstances, after I've heated up about 15-20 gallons, I'll either run it through the filter press directly to filter it or just use the filter rack in the canning unit with a regular filter and some prefilters. I always leave the very last half gallon or so in the five gallon container because that's where everything settles out.

I've never had a problem filtering that way and the syrup is as clear as if I ran it through the filter press but because it is mostly settled out, it filters very easily and I'm not swapping out papers, mixing DE and everything else that goes with filtering through the filter press.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Beth,
    You should be able to get just as good of flavor after filtering as before. Maybe tell us again how your filtering process is not working? Not good you have been having problems for years? I had it one season, turned out it was the cone filter. Changed that and solved the problem.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

My initial years consisted of drawing off the evaporator into 2 quart mason jars and was able to confirm density in each jar with a hydrometer. Put the lid on and let sit for days/weeks/months or as long I wanted for better clarity. Easy to see through the glass how clear the the syrup becomes.
    I simply would decant until the dregs get close and stop. Keep pouring the dregs together and decant as time and gravity permit. I tried the orion filters and the losses and labor were discouraging to me. Gravity and time work great.
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

Chris, I tried every rinsing method out there, washing machine, party bucket, sink, tub... more rinsing helps, but something is still going on. I THINK it might be where I store my filters...on a high shelf in the laundry room. Those dryer sheets let off an awful amount of odor!

I might try all new paper and felt next year, but I'm excited to try the settling method after reading the comments! I make between 20 and 60 gallons depending on the season, so it shouldn't be any more hassle than my messy, sticky filtering method is now. I have lots of food-grade 5 gallon plastic carboys, and my wine siphon might work on the syrup so I don't have to pour by hand.

I give away most of my syrup to friends and family, so as long as I have them put the syrup right into the fridg, I shouldn't have to even heat it to bottle it. Anything I sell or store I'll have to reheat & bottle correctly though.
    Beth in Bradford, PA

Laundry area will ruin a filter. Any odor will get picked up and transferred to the syrup.
    You would be better served double freezer bagging it and storing it in the freezer till the next season.... but start with a new filter.
    Last edited by mellondome; 03-27-2017 at 06:49 AM.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction