+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slab Wood or edge cuts for fire wood.

Default Slab Wood or edge cuts for fire wood.

I went to Holmes County Ohio yesterday and drove around till I found a lumber mill (its big amish country so didn't drive long) Was able to buy two bundles of edge cuts slabs for $10 a bundle. Edge cuts are the pieces off the sides of the boards to make them straight after they are cut to the right thickness. I have a 7 foot wide dump trailer and both bundes would not fit side by side. They are 12' long of all Ash. I could not believe the price Its not worth getting the chainsaw and spliter out for $20 to get a seasons worth of wood. I can't be the 1st person to do this just wanted to share the info.
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

Quote Originally Posted by ash10383 View Post
    I went to Holmes County Ohio yesterday and drove around till I found a lumber mill (its big amish country so didn't drive long) Was able to buy two bundles of edge cuts slabs for $10 a bundle. Edge cuts are the pieces off the sides of the boards to make them straight after they are cut to the right thickness. I have a 7 foot wide dump trailer and both bundes would not fit side by side. They are 12' long of all Ash. I could not believe the price Its not worth getting the chainsaw and spliter out for $20 to get a seasons worth of wood. I can't be the 1st person to do this just wanted to share the info.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

Good find, a local saw mill here has them for $15/bundle, smaller than that though. Maybe 3/4 that size. Sometimes he has 16' long bundles. Real nice guy that we bought our filter press from. He used to do syrup but wife got the land in divorce. He was using the press to water his woodpile!!! $400 and it was ours, gotta love finding deals. Nice find, load up before eveyone else does.

I found an Amish sawmill that was willing to sell soft wood slabs for $2 a bundle. Others in the area wanted about $20 a bundle for mixed woods. I am considering it myself but have plenty of wood for next year already. I'm sure I worked harder for next years wood though compared to cutting up slabs..
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

1arch, the Amish likely sold you the soft wood slabs for $2 a bundle because you picked them up with a team of horses and a wagon.
    When I have slabs I actually give them away most of the time. They are in the way. However I don't run my mill much anymore. Usually campers come to get them when I do have them.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Got tmy admit $2 is a really tempting price for a cord of wood even if it is soft.
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

Quote Originally Posted by 1arch View Post
    Got tmy admit $2 is a really tempting price for a cord of wood even if it is soft.
    Yeah, ya gotta' have something to do while the boiling's going. Might just well feed a charge of wood more often.

+ Reply to Thread