+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This years boiling

Default This years boiling

Well I broke down this year. After turkey fryers and grill side burners I got myself a bunch of blocks and built this monstrosity just before season.

IMG_20170215_144311776.jpg

It has worked wonderfully and yes I have had about ten bricks break due to heat I had to replace. However I managed to pick up nearly 100 blocks last spring for $20. So I don't mind. Was not sure I liked boiling with wood at first, however I have seriously increased my boil rate and other than all this splitting and cutting wood I have done during season. (will be getting a pile ready for next spring over summer) This has worked out well for me.

Not a huge fan of smoke so I built the back to act like a chimney and its worked very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcyC3n9u7Y

That was one of the first boils in it.

Now to contemplate an actual bricked in one with fire bricks hmmm.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Hey, Bruce. That looks just like mine! Yeah, broken blocks, too. My next step was to fashion a chimney to improve draft and that's when things really started to heat up, but I used metal smoke pipe, not blocks. If you can find a refractory supply, sometimes they have used bricks for sale cheap.

I started with a pathetic bunch of fieldstone and banquet pans. After 6 years of tweaking I got this setup and getting close to 8 GPH some days with a 2x3 pan and stovepipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    50 taps ave. half on buckets half on 3/16
    2x3 pan on fire brick / fieldstone arch
    started 2012

007 (2).jpg210.jpg1269.jpg
    This is what I used 10 years ago, I still chuckle when I see these pictures. Wow, was that a ordeal taking the pan off of the fire.
    Last edited by Trapper2; 03-24-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks Daveg Will see about used bricks someplace around me.

GV2 that is pretty cool with the field stone around it like that.

Trapper2 I lucked out and also found two large stainless steel pans in a restaurant going out of business sale. I picked up two that each holds five gallons of sap. So I can boil ten gallons at a time with both the pans. Boil rate I am running is about seven to ten gallons and hour. As you said getting the pans off is an ordeal. I throw some water on the fire, after the pans are down to about a third each. Then with thick gloves on lift a pan out and pour it into a bucket. Then repeat. I wear waders when I do this. Because with luck I had on my neoprene waders with my first pouring from the pans and I had some boiling sap spill out and hit the front of me and my legs. Those neoprene saved me big time. So now I do it as a safety precaution.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Quote Originally Posted by Snappyssweets View Post
    Thanks Daveg Will see about used bricks someplace around me.

GV2 that is pretty cool with the field stone around it like that.

Trapper2 I lucked out and also found two large stainless steel pans in a restaurant going out of business sale. I picked up two that each holds five gallons of sap. So I can boil ten gallons at a time with both the pans. Boil rate I am running is about seven to ten gallons and hour. As you said getting the pans off is an ordeal. I throw some water on the fire, after the pans are down to about a third each. Then with thick gloves on lift a pan out and pour it into a bucket. Then repeat. I wear waders when I do this. Because with luck I had on my neoprene waders with my first pouring from the pans and I had some boiling sap spill out and hit the front of me and my legs. Those neoprene saved me big time. So now I do it as a safety precaution.
    My old pan was 36 X 36 X6" boiled a lot of sap with that thing. Look what I added to this years operation. I love this roller conveyor.
    conveyor.jpgconveyor3.jpgrolling off.jpg

That is awesome with the rollers.
    I haven't seen those things in a long time. That is a wonderful idea and much safer too.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Snappyssweets View Post
    That is awesome with the rollers.
    I haven't seen those things in a long time. That is a wonderful idea and much safer too.
    The rollers hook onto a rod on the firebox. The set cost me a quart of syrup to a farmer down the road.
    007 (3).jpg Do you see the rod they hook onto?

+ Reply to Thread