+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: craptacular end to my season.

this season has been one of the worst I can remember for long spans between runs - Some because it wouldn't freeze, others 'cause it would't thaw. Those couple of 70 degree days didn't help either. If my pickup pails sit for more than a few days with a lid on, they'll stink, I have to use a little bleach & water on them. I use an old milk strainer with cheese cloth for a filter, it gets washed after every use, and replaced a few times in the season. I can see one of the canister type getting contaminated. Sad Matt, lot of work gone to waste -

I have been noticing a bunch of references to filters between head tanks and evaporators. This practice kind of surprises me as i feel that adding any potential clog point between the two is asking for burnt pans.

We always just filter as it transfers in to the sugar house storage with a course suction y strainer on the transfer pump inlet and a washable bag filter where it enters the storage tank. I have never had any issues with debris, quality or filters imparting a taste as bag filters are cheap as well as easy to clean and dry.

I fully understand and endorse the need to use a micron rated cartridge style water filter in advance of an RO to protect the membrane from debris but think that at any other point it's probably overkill and in the case of mounting it in the evaporators gravity feed line down right risky.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Spanielslovesappin View Post
    I have been noticing a bunch of references to filters between head tanks and evaporators. This practice kind of surprises me as i feel that adding any potential clog point between the two is asking for burnt pans.

We always just filter as it transfers in to the sugar house storage with a course suction y strainer on the transfer pump inlet and a washable bag filter where it enters the storage tank. I have never had any issues with debris, quality or filters imparting a taste as bag filters are cheap as well as easy to clean and dry.
    This is the common approach. Most people don't filter between the head/feed tank and evaporator for exactly the reason you mentioned.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We have filter for many years prior to the releaser to eliminate anything getting stuck in a flapper valve. With the current system I have to much flow even for a sock filter from the electric releaser. after blowing out a dozen I gave up and just use the filter prior to the RO. I am often surprised what you see on the media.

I totally agree if you have to have a filter of some sort prior to the evap then a screen is the only style as if you slow the flow to much you risk a pan failure due to low level of sap.

If you had to run one I would only run a clear globe unit and a clear feeder line for a distance and check it every time you fuel the rig just to be safer...still would worry me.

Best of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    If you had to run one I would only run a clear globe unit and a clear feeder line for a distance and check it every time you fuel the rig just to be safer...still would worry me.
    I'm still working on my hypothesis that the clear housing is creating a magnifying glass effect and making all sorts of bacteria growth, even in freezing temps while exposed to brief morning sun and indirect light the rest of the day.

With my 5 micron filter i estimated I could run at 70+ GPH flow, my arch won't run that fast until i get a blower on it. i never had this one show any signs of plugging up, putting as much as 600 gallons through per filter
    with the 30 micron i used it seems like it'll top out at around 50 GPH flow rate. this one could get me into trouble if it plugs up too much on me.
    i did use a 50 micron one time and that one was trouble, after 300 gallons it plugged slowly on me and i almost had a burnt pan do to that.

Going forward next year i will switch to filtering before it hits the head tank. this year I was using my transfer tank from the truck as my head tank by pulling it out and putting it up on a pallet rack in my building, then hooking up the plumbing and going into the evaporator.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    With my 5 micron filter i estimated I could run at 70+ GPH flow,...
    with the 30 micron i used it seems like it'll top out at around 50 GPH flow rate.
    i did use a 50 micron one time and that one was trouble, after 300 gallons it plugged slowly on me ...
    That just doesn't make any sense at all to me. A smaller micron rating means it has finer pores, will filter more "stuff" out, have a lower flow rate, and should plug faster. A bigger micron rating will run faster, catch less, and you should get far more sap through it before it plugs. You sure you got that right?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm sorry about the craptacular situation. Two things, though. One, I'm with these guys about a filter between your head tank and cooker. Just seems like you're asking for trouble. I don't want anything that can interfere with that flow rate between the tank and the float. No way, no hoe. Second, I really just can't see how if you're running at 70gph that the sap has enough time in the filter to be contaminated with bacteria. How long would it be in there, a minute? Less? Then how long until it's boiling, another minute? Just doesn't seem like a likely culprit to me,i guess.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    That just doesn't make any sense at all to me. A smaller micron rating means it has finer pores, will filter more "stuff" out, have a lower flow rate, and should plug faster. A bigger micron rating will run faster, catch less, and you should get far more sap through it before it plugs. You sure you got that right?
    sorry, got those backwards. precisely the opposite.

On to today's findings. So last night i boiled 225 gallons. rather than rip out the housing, and have to figure out the plumbing for one last boil i decided to just go with the filter one last time. I boiled the filter for 20 minutes in the house, then flushed water through it for a few minutes and then hooked it (30 micron) up and ran. it went through all the sap, but was slowing at the end of the boil. This morning i collected 40 gallons that trickled in for the last run of the season (likely at least). Last night we had low temp of around 35 degrees. so pretty cool, but not cold. This morning I hooked up the tank to the plumbing and opened the valve (not dumping into the pan, just onto the ground). Well, guess what, that 30 micron i used was plugged up solid. hardly a trickle would make it through the filter. I opened up the housing and removed the filter and sure enough, rotten/sour smell from the filter. I cleaned the housing and ran the last 40 through just the housing, sans filter cartridge. I'm now about 99% sure that's the source of my sour syrup i made. I don't really understand how the filter could have gone bad from 9pm last night to 9am this morning with the temperature around 35 degrees. I bottled up a sample of the sap i was boiling (no filtering) and bagged up the filter cartridge and stuck them in the fridge for future investigation.

Is this just a standard filter or a carbon filter?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

pleated paper cartridge, 30 micron rating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast