+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moral Question

Dang, I was expecting something about human cloning or killing an albatross at sea or something? Yeah, burn it. You'll be fine.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Hehe looks like I have yet another project on my hands with these Ts, lol! I have to look into the $$$ involved as it's silk-screening and have to get an idea as to run size, minimum orders etc....oh and go and design the danged things! The Tap Me toques I did last year were a bit easier cause they're one size fits all, and now they have the template for them. And as with the toques, I am taking the Henry Ford approach: 'You can have any colour you want, so long as it's black' ;-)
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Nooo…no…nope…nuh-ah, I wouldn’t burn it, not in the arch…bad ju-ju.
    I’d trade it even up for a few logs from the “heat the house” pile or the “I’m gonna make something out of that” pile (which never seems to get smaller anyway, ‘cause while I have the tools, I have neither the time nor inclination).

Now I’ve read that you can ward off the plagues certain to befall you should you burn it in the arch if you perform the required ceremony prior.
    It’s akin to the ceremony used in renaming a boat, though not quite as complicated.
    It does, however, call for fig leaves, bare feet, sacrificial drink and the proper vocalizations towards the appropriate points of the compass.
    The syrup gods must be appeased.

Oh, and cheese belongs on a ham sandwich, not a burger.
    Cheese on a burger is like ketchup on a hotdog…bleh!
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    Hehe looks like I have yet another project on my hands with these Ts, lol! I have to look into the $$$ involved as it's silk-screening and have to get an idea as to run size, minimum orders etc....oh and go and design the danged things! The Tap Me toques I did last year were a bit easier cause they're one size fits all, and now they have the template for them. And as with the toques, I am taking the Henry Ford approach: 'You can have any colour you want, so long as it's black' ;-)
    I've been wearing my black "Tap Me" hat a lot this winter, Galena. Wore it while I plowed on my tractor after that big snowstorm last week. Came in looking like the abominable snowman, but my head and ears were toasty!

You should be fine, but just to be sure, you should pour a shot of Canadian Whiskey on every stump that the firewood came from.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    You should be fine, but just to be sure, you should pour a shot of Canadian Whiskey on every stump that the firewood came from.
    Now that's alcohol abuse!
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by saphound View Post
    I've been wearing my black "Tap Me" hat a lot this winter, Galena. Wore it while I plowed on my tractor after that big snowstorm last week. Came in looking like the abominable snowman, but my head and ears were toasty!
    Hehe great, good to know it works! As does mine. Feel free to send pics!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

about 20 years ago, the roof leaked at the local high school gym, severely warping the floor. it had to be replaced. my dad was a teacher there, and asked the demo crew if he could have the old flooring, which was sugar maple. they loaded his pickup each day, and it got stacked in the sugar house. burned excellent through the arch.
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater

Now that's alcohol abuse!
    A sacrifice for a sacrifice. Have to appease the tree gods.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Quote Originally Posted by Snappyssweets View Post
    Galena If you make them I want a link to it. I WANT one of them. LOL

No one would really understand when I wear it, unless they are as twisted as the rest of us here on these forums. I love doing things that make people question me and my sanity anyhow.

I wore one for the longest time that said, "Please to not interrupt me while I am trying to ignore you."
    I used to get some odd looks and it made it more enjoyable to me.

as to if its morally wrong?
    If its laying next to my woodpile and split. Its going in the fire. Its a warning to trees no matter what its best not to die or tick me off.
    I see by your photo you ride a Mountain Bike. Why would any one question your sanity? If you have ridden the IceMan in the last ten years I most likely have a photo of you!

http://www.haysphotography.net/

As for the Maple. I have yet to burn the Maple. I did get a notice that they were going to Clear Cut the easement for power lines in my back yard. I walked out back and noticed "The mark of death" on two of my nicely growing Maples. But they had already cut the easement, but never touched my "red shirt" sap team. So now i am beyond nervous of the Maple Wood pile. I have avoided the death saw once this week. i think I may save the Maple. If we dont make camp fire wood out of it this summer I may pour a little whiskey and burn the wood. Maybe.
    10 buckets,20 bags,steamer pan,cement block arch,4 tarp - sugar shack - Low budget 2010-2015
    35 bags, Leader Supreme 2x4, 1 stall garage shack - What budget? 2016-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast