+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is too long to stay tapped?

Default How long is too long to stay tapped?

Dumb question,

Is the quantity and flow dependent on just the pressure changes from temps, or is time a factor?

Tapped maybe 4 weeks ago. Maybe five. Been weird weather here in NH. Had a couple good flows on our 90taps. Then cold setting in. Any risk keeping them tapped for a few more cycles a weather looks maybe good next week and after? No buds yet Koenig so assuming we're good. But not sure if I should pull half and tap new trees, etc?
    2017 - Got hooked last year
    100 taps (mostly 5/8, a few 7/16 plastic) on 5-gallon buckets with. Maybe 22 buckets.
    The Same evaporator as last year.

2016 - Decided to start up on a whim.
    25 taps (5/8 plastic) on gallon jugs put up around 2/28. Have a homemade wood 55gal drum "stove" with a stainless steel/baffled evaporator from Vermont Evaporator.

Taps are generally shutting down after about 6 weeks.
    My Dad left buckets in the woods till late July. We had several teaspoons of naturally evaporated sweet in the bottom of the buckets!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

When it's long after the sap stops flowing and the buds are open.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

What usually determines the end of the season is the sap quality or the quality of the syrup. I would say your season isn't over yet. As far as retapping, you don't want to overtap if you plan on tapping your trees for many years ahead. Some guys do redrill the same hole oversized or a little deeper with limited success. It's your call.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

I've read here that tapping too early can result in tap holes that no longer produce even though there are still sap runs. I tapped in late January and I'm still getting good, cold, clear 1.5% sap. Too late to tap new trees, following sustainability guidelines. Stretches of either temperature extreme can be followed by good sap production, even in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Taps are generally shutting down after about 6 weeks.
    My Dad left buckets in the woods till late July. We had several teaspoons of naturally evaporated sweet in the bottom of the buckets!
    Regards,
    Chris

Wouldn't the microbes have eaten all of the sugars before the liquid totally evaporated? Or at least soured? Or the bugs taken care of anything left? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Minds View Post
    Wouldn't the microbes have eaten all of the sugars before the liquid totally evaporated? Or at least soured? Or the bugs taken care of anything left? Just wondering
    I've seen damaged maples in the woods with syrupish liquid down the trunk of the tree. Was very thick and tasted good. (Had to try)
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Bucket taps with new or proprrly sanitized taps will usually run for up to 6 weeks. If you have other untapped trees you can tap them now. If you are using the same taps in the new trees sanitize them first. If they are metal taps boil them long enough to come up to temperature and then handle them as little as possible when tapping. I feel that the real season hasn't gotten here in NH yet.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Minds View Post
    I was a little kid, and I remember syrup like sticky goo in the bottom of the buckets maybe about 100 ml?
    I think we tasted it and it was sweet. its been a long time!
    Somethings you don't forget and cant explain!
    Yea it should have been moldy and sour and yucky but from what I remember it wasn't. Not sure why. They were old buckets with lids.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I was a little kid, and I remember syrup like sticky goo in the bottom of the buckets maybe about 100 ml?
    I think we tasted it and it was sweet. its been a long time!
    Somethings you don't forget and cant explain!
    Yea it should have been moldy and sour and yucky but from what I remember it wasn't. Not sure why. They were old buckets with lids.

Regards,
    Chris
    Ahh yes, to only be young again, even for a day. At least we have those kind of memories.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast