+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Tapper, some questions

Default 1st Time Tapper, some questions

I'm a first time tapper near Stillwater, new to the forum. Lots of great info on maple tapping here. After cutting down some trees last weekend I noticed that they were dripping sap, so I did some more research and looked around the yard for some maples. Turns out that we have some red/silver maples on our property, and I started setting up 10 taps yesterday. I don't expect to get much, and the season is pretty much over, but it has been a really fun learning experience, and it's something that I would love to do more seriously next year. It's getting up to 40 today so I think I'll be able to get a little bit of sap. When I tapped yesterday the maples were dripping pretty good. Weather isn't looking too favorable for the rest of the week, however. Do you guys think it is worthwhile to continue collecting to the end of the week and boiling whatever I have this weekend? I know that it will be raining later this week so that won't be good for sap production. Just wanted to hear some people's thoughts. Thanks!

Keep them in, what have you to loose. Maybe just boiling down 10-20 gallons will give you a feel for what you need to do for next year. Experience is the best teacher, especially when it comes to sugaring.

Trapper2, you're right, even if I don't get a lot at least I will have learned a thing or two. I'll keep them in until Sunday and then spend the day evaporating. Do you have any tips/suggestions for a quick, low-cost evaporator setup that would be good for a small batch?
    2017 - 10 Taps, 1 turkey fryer -

Quote Originally Posted by gaust024 View Post
    Trapper2, you're right, even if I don't get a lot at least I will have learned a thing or two. I'll keep them in until Sunday and then spend the day evaporating. Do you have any tips/suggestions for a quick, low-cost evaporator setup that would be good for a small batch?
    Depending on how many gallons you have to cook down. For somebody that only has 10 gallons or so a turkey fryer is hard to beat,

If holding the sap to boil later, try to keep it cold. Sap spoils fast when it gets warm. If you can store it at just above freezing it will last longer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on checking my taps and waterproofing them when I get home tonight. I'll also fill up some containers to put in the fridge so they stay cold, since the lows for the next few days will be in the upper 30s/low 40s. Could you store sap in the freezer? Or is that not recommended?

If you have room to freeze it you will be able to save yourself some boiling time too.

My daughter uses the ice we get in out storage tanks to make "her own special syrup" which means she boils about fifty gallons of ice to get a quart of syrup but it gives her something to do.

Anyhow what happens is the water in the sap will freeze, the sugar for the most part will not. So you chip a hole in the ice pour the liquid out to boil and toss the ice outside. Or if you want to let the kids have fun let them boil it and learn too.

either way freezing and ice is your friend with maple

have fun and enjoy although you should be warned this is a highly addictive pass time.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Good for you! Exactly how I started. I did my first boil(s) in a buffet pan on a turkey fryer. Good luck.

(and keep digging in on these forums! There are so many people willing to share valuable info)

Keep gathering, keep the sap cool. Rain is not a bad thing and may cause a run too. Have fun!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I appreciate all of the advice from everyone! I'm planning on collecting the sap today from my taps (around 5 gallons), putting it in gallon water jugs, and then putting them in the freezer so it stays fresh. Cloudy with a high of 39 today, so the sap should be fine, but I'll freeze it just to be safe. I'll probably pull the taps on Saturday and spend the day boiling everything down in the turkey fryer pot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast