+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second equipment purchase thoughts?

Default Second equipment purchase thoughts?

I work at a college just outside of Boston. We taped 12 trees and had a great season! Our first investment was in taps and buckets. We don't have to purchase pots or an evaporator bc we can cook down the sap in our dining hall under the vent hoods. I'm thinking a brix meter/gauge and/or a canning/filter unit should be the next investment - we used coffee filters this round which worked ok but it was VERY time consuming and didn't capture all the sugar sand. Thoughts or feedback on these next purchases? If those sound good to you, any recommendations on canning/filtering units? My instinct is to get the double 8 qt filter size as we plan to go from 12 taps to 20 next Feb.

I think a hydrometer would be a smart purchase and maybe try a wool cone filter (or 2) as they work better and can be washed and reused.
    Jared

Are you using stove tops or something else to boil? i like the suggestion of a filter and hydrometer. I use a synthetic cone filter with prefilter works well enough. Not sure you would need a caner/ unit for that small an operation.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

hydrometer, cone filter and a 12 pack of pre-filters. you can make quality syrup with those three items. take any of the three out and the quality will not be good for long term. ie, you can eat maple syrup that is under done if you consume it in a few weeks, but if you let it sit around it's going to grow all sorts of funk.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Definitely got a wide range of sugar sand with the batches I did (collected around 150 gallons of sap and cooked down 8 times). We refrigerated sap as it came in and cooked down once a week. We also tried to do a good job on the bottling end, working with hot syrup and preheated bottles to seal things tight. Do you think I should still be worried about funk because I used coffee filters and have some sugar sand?

Neither the hydrometer nor the filter are essential. You can tell if you have boiled near enough to syrup by temperature and the sheeting test. You can let the niter settle out over time. Because you can do both of these, you can focus on what would make the syrup making experience more fun or less tedious. For me, that meant an alarming thermometer called a ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks. It allows me to not be watching the boil continuously until I hear the alarms go off. I set mine for 216, then 218. My syrup is never finished before 218. The ChefAlarm has a high alarm and a low alarm and you can also set timers. As my syrup temp rises, I raise the low alarm setpoint in case the liquid level drops low enough to expose the probe to air. The combination of timers and alarms can make it much easier to focus on your studies while you boil.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

As others have said, hydrometer and some cone filters. Won't break the bank and you can make some quality syrup with those tools .
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Have to echo the hydrometer. They simplify the finishing process and help take out a lot of the guess work.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Sugar sand does not affect the syrup at all. No worries about spoilage unless you did not boil uyour sap long enough to get it to syrup density. How did you determine that it was at the syrup stage?

Cooked till it was 219 degrees on a 5" digital food thermometer
    -NT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast