+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buddy Syrup Yet?

Default Buddy Syrup Yet?

Anyone in southern Michigan getting bad syrup off there trees yet? If so are they sugars, or reds, or silvers or what? I just thought I caught a nasty smell off the evaporator but the trees are giving it up strong still. I'm 95 % sugars and some reds. I might unplug the lesser trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We pushed about 200 gallons through the evaporator last night that came in from Sunday evening to midday yesterday.
    We stopped with 100 gallons left in the tank which my wife will finish up this morning.

Not buddy yet, although the syrup is coming off very dark.
    Sugar content was down to 1.7% last night.

This freeze up beginning tonight and running through tomorrow should keep us in the game through the weekend, but I don’t see it lasting much longer than that.

Not a good year for us.
    Estimating about 60% of a “normal” crop.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Running clear here and still sweet, although looking at temps I have already announced I am calling it a season as of Friday Afternoon. I just do not want to push my luck too much. I already have been in now at about six weeks. I would hate to and up running buddy sap as I batch boil and it would be ugly on what my temper would do. LOL As a former sailor and trucker the words my poor wife and daughter would hear could traumatize them for a second or two before they began using them back at me. Which could seriously cause me trauma :P
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

Well we ran another 250 gallons though today and it's was good stuff. I must have been drinking too much yesterday or something. I did pull the tubes off the one red I have tapped just to be on the safe side.

Still getting good sap in the Thumb.

300 trees • 700 taps • sugaring these woods since 1882
    6th generation drinks sap right from the buckets (fortunately most of the woods is tubed!)

happy to be raising homegrown kids in the family farmhouse at the maple woods • married into maple and brought my marketing background, learning production

Twitter http://twitter.com/BattelSyrup
    Facebook http://companies.to/syrup/
    Maple Syrup Saturday open house third Saturday in March

Great run for us on the 24th, filled the tanks with 600 gallons of good and clear 1.9% sap.

The buds on the trees are telling me we’ve got another week, maybe two.
    The weather, on the other hand, doesn’t agree.

Not going to pull taps quite yet.
    There’s a chance we could dip below freezing within the next couple of days, and the lows in the extended forecast are trending downward.
    I’m not going to hold my breath, but I’m not going to shoot myself in the foot either.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

We are still trying to catch up from this last big run. It doesn't help that I was away for some of it. Syrup is still good though. Still pulling some out of the sugarbush but my roadside stuff has quit running for now. We might be done in Paw Paw unless the forecast changes.

Still getting good sap in the NELP. The pond is still covered in ice. I haven't heard a peep out of the peepers. And we're supposed to be getting 5-8" of snow on Thursday.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I am done, ( except for the massive cleanup) but what I did experience this year is the last batch very dark, and robust, but also had a bit of an aftertaste. Kind of like what you get from a dark beer, you drink it taste it swallow it and the taste it again, not bad just different

We called it quits. Never did get any off taste but we did get really strong flavor on the last of the run. We went a little too far and had to chaise the evaporator with water. OOPS! With that there would be no way to sweeten it agin with the little bit the trees are giving up here now. Time to move on to bottling.

+ Reply to Thread