+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running low on firewood

Default Running low on firewood

For the first time in many years my wood supply is running low. The last few year I had generally 2+ years of wood or more all split and stacked. This year I have now gone thru more than I did the last 2 combined and I only have about 5 face cord left of 21" wood. After that I have about 10-12 full cord , some bucked to length, most in log length and 1-2 yrs down and piled. Next week I'll likely either borrow for my house wood, all split and stacked for 2019 or I'll process some more. If I use the house wood it is good and dry but is cut shorter, but we have all we need at the house for this year, that will be my go to stash if necessary.
    With this season running low on sugar % and lots of sap I am using more. I do RO, but in the past I most often concentrated to 8-12%, this year it's more like 6-10% which is eating up more wood. I am not stopping the RO, it runs continuously from start til finishing boiling, but it is not getting as highly concentrated with the lower start. In the past most of my sap has been 2.0% or better until almost the end, this year most has been 1.4-1.6%.
    I guess I'll need to get more ready before next year in case this low sugar % proves to be a trend.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

About the same here.. I am at 9 boils so far for the season, average for me is 15-16 boils. Looking at my wood I am more that 2/3 of the way through it. Looking at extended weather it could either by ideal conditions starting after this weekend or not cold enough at night for decent runs for my neck of the woods.. I have a guy that taps 25 yard maples and earlier this week we had near ideal conditions, bright sun, west winds, temps in mid 40's and the yard maples only gave up about half of what the typically produce, while my woods trees had one of their better runs so far. That makes we wonder if the season is further along than we think it might be. We still have 6 inches or much more in some locations and after a chilly March still a good amount of frost in most ground locations.

Like all good sugar makers say when asked how their season is going, "Check with me in May and I will let you know then!"
    NEIL

18x66 LAPIERRE EVAPORATOR, 120 TAPS GIVE OR TAKE
    10x20 SUGAR SHACK

get a bundle of slab wood from a mill? I burn pallets primarily but recently tried slabwood, works pretty well if i mix it together.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

+ Reply to Thread