+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice In Milk Coolers Getting Lifted By Sap,Lifting Plungers Letting Sap Go

Hybrid View

Default Ice In Milk Coolers Getting Lifted By Sap,Lifting Plungers Letting Sap Go

Has anyone ever had this problem? Found one tank today that the ice had floated up and lifted the plunger,allowing sap to go out on the ground,plastic cap had also split from the cold weather,so backup didn't work either. Went to rob a metal cap from another tank,same problem with ice lifting the plunger. Will be sure to find some more metal caps for used milk coolers before next season
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I feel your pain. One of my bulk tanks is sunk about 2' into the ground to help compensate for lack of slope. The hole ends up with water in it which freezes and the ice managed to swing open the gate valve (don't ask how!) and break the cap as well so water was getting into the sap. Had to do a lot of smashing and chipping to get through ice to resolve the issue. Also had my releaser freeze up really bad because it didn't drain for some reason. Ended up disconnecting it and bringing back to sugar house to run hot water through it so it could be dismantled and ice removed. luckily there was no perminant damage but I lost 2-3 hours of running time. Where was all this cold back in January and February?
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Clinkis,how did you get a gate valve onto the tank? Is there a conversion kit for tank threads to pipe threads? If so I'll take 4 so I can get ball valves for all of the tanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I've had ice lift the dip stick in the past, as sap runs and the ice floats on top. I then removed the dip stick and stuck it in backwards so it is up in the air. You could also plug that hole and not use the dip stick.
    For valves, most are available from aftermarket sources. You can also get adapters changing from most types of connections to another, even to NPT. What does your tank connection look like now? a picture may help. Also include a ruler in close proximity to the fitting for reference. With that one of us will likely be able to give you an answer.
    I have 7 tanks and only 3 came with the valves but I now have SS butterfly valves on all. A butterfly valve is a type that will not self destruct if it freezes but you need to thaw one before you turn the handle or you will damage the seal.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Clinkis,how did you get a gate valve onto the tank? Is there a conversion kit for tank threads to pipe threads? If so I'll take 4 so I can get ball valves for all of the tanks
    This particular cooler had a factory issued swing gate valve (not a ball valve) which is why I think the ice pushed it open. I just bought another cooler and it came with a nice heavy duty stainless ball valve on it from de Laval. Can't see ice opening it. Should be able to purchase them from a dairy supply place but I would suspect they are not cheap.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Maple Flats is spot on about ball valve vs butterfly valve. The sap in the ball can freeze and burst the valve body.

I found affordable SS import Tri-Clamp butterfly valve and fittings @ http://texasprocesstechnologies.com.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

Here's the one I order from, prices might be lower. Didn't compare shipping. https://www.brewershardware.com/Sani...terfly-Valves/
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Milk tanks use a butterfly style or recessed plunger style valves due to sanitary reasons. They do not have ball valves. But all of them are acme fittings on the hose connection end. You can buy connections for hose online for these. Either in 1.5in or 2in. Depending on the tank valve size.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

So how do you get from a threaded end on the bulk tank to a sanitary fitting for the butterfly valve?
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Last edited by mellondome; 03-20-2017 at 11:38 PM.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction